Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on HP Mini 1000

Beans

Re: Installing on HP Mini 1000

Hi, I've installed intrepid on HP Mini 1000 and wifi works for WEP but not WPA. The network isn't hidden, and it is visible in gnome-network manager, but the WPA authentication never completes.

The result is the same with both the wl driver and ndiswrapper (I followed the tutorial https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HP2133 using both HP and alternate dell 4315 drivers.

I had a crack with wicd without any joy, so I don't think network-manager is to blame. Interestingly the Ubuntu Hardware Testing app reports the chipset as 4312 but lspci -n reports 14e4:4315.

A new version of the broadcom driver (http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php was released at the end of December and I tried installing it with no success.

Other than wireless the rest of the hardware seems to work fine.

Right, that's all I know! If anyone has any ideas that would be much appreciated.

Stuart

Beans
    Hidden!

I have installed Xubuntu on the Mini 1000 and it is running quite well! The only thing I cannot get to work is the webcam! I've tried easycam and was unsuccessful. Anybody have an idea?
    What Linux Distribution Fits You?
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 3 GB DDR2 RAM | Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT | Ubuntu 9.04
    Get JDownloader Today!

Beans

I have the web cam working with application cheese. had to change the resolution in cheese preferences to lowest setting.

philwil

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks philwil that worked!
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 3 GB DDR2 RAM | Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT | Ubuntu 9.04
    Get JDownloader Today!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Souness View Post
    Has anybody figured out why the screensaver goes just to a black screen and doesn't actually start up?
    I believe this is a power saving feature. If its plugged in, the screensaver works.
    Get JDownloader Today!

Beans

The Linux version of the HP Mini is out now (and it's Ubuntu!), see this thread.

Beans

I've got an HP Mini 1030NR (1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, WinXP) purchased at the end of November '08. I was able to shrink the Windows partition and get Ubuntu 8.10 installed (via USB), dual booting with XP, without much hassle.

Upon installing Ubuntu 8.10, my first impression was, "Everything *just works* out-of-the-box! Woo!"

But I've since discovered the following problems:

1. The WiFi doesn't work when I'm at the office, where WPA2 is in use. At home, I use WPA, and it works fine. Also has worked fine with WEP. I've read elsewhere that the WPA2 issue is due to the Broadcom drivers.

2. There is no driver present / loaded for the Marvell Yukon wired ethernet adapter, which sucks, because then I've got no hope for getting connected when I'm at the office. Unless I boot to XP, in which case both the wireless and wired adapters work fine.

Other than that, have had no issues. Sound worked fine as-is, I didn't have to do any monkeying around, though I haven't done any audio input or recording with it - just playback.

I really love this machine. It's super lightweight but is easy to work with - the keyboard is very easy to use.

It's just too bad that sometimes I need to boot into Windows to work

Beans

Hi silvari,
    I'm using ethernet although sometimes it's not detected. Try rebooting until you get it.

Saludosss

Beans

*bump*

-B

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jswinner View Post
    Flash to the latest bios, then unetbootin works, with 8.10, after running chkdisk in windows first. Otherwise it does not report the doze partion size correct and you you cannot shrink it.

Have not checked every piece of HW, but it all seems to "just work".
    I'm trying to install 8.10 on my 1035NR (Love this machine by the way)

With both unetbootin and the USB Flash utility in System -> Administration, the partitioner does not recognize Windows on my system and suggests that I install over the entire partition.

When you say Flash to the latest bios, and unetbootin works after running chkdisk... do you mean using the hard disk self test utility, in the Bios, or using the chkdisk run command in windows?
    -Redenbacher

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast