Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox overlays my entire screen

Beans

Firefox overlays my entire screen

Since I got 8.1, the updated Firefox completely fills my screen so I cannot see the desktop items such as applications, etc. I also don't see the top menu bar to minimize and maximize it, and I cannot resize it smaller. To close it, I have to Alt-F4 or File Quit. All the other apps fill the screen in the proper way. Any ideas why this is happening? (I checked, and Firefox is NOT in full screen mode)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Firefox overlays my entire screen

Quote Originally Posted by egruber View Post
    Since I got 8.1, the updated Firefox completely fills my screen so I cannot see the desktop items such as applications, etc. I also don't see the top menu bar to minimize and maximize it, and I cannot resize it smaller. To close it, I have to Alt-F4 or File Quit. All the other apps fill the screen in the proper way. Any ideas why this is happening? (I checked, and Firefox is NOT in full screen mode)
    1. Do you have menu bars on the rest of your windows?
    2. Do you have compiz enabled - does turning it off make any difference?
    3. Can you move the firefox window around the screen using the "other" method: Hold down Alt and click and drag anywhere on the window (check that this works on one of your other windows first)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Press F11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had the same issue but I've solved it. What you need to do is for a temporary fix is press "F11" twice, or for the permanent fix, do the following, go into the Compiz Settings Manager, and find "Windows Decorations" add the following line to "Decoration Windows":
    Code:
    (any) | class=Firefox
    Once you've done that, close out CCSM, then open CCSM back up again, then change that to:
    Code:
    any
    Then that should solve the problem, it worked flawlessly. If that doesn't work you can always revert back to metacity:
    Code:
    metacity --replace

Beans

Codename...I don't know anything about Compiz. Where is the Settings Manager and how do I edit it? (I'll try F11 tonight, too).

Redseventyseven...all other programs have menu bars. I did notice though, that if I change the display attributes to Standard (no fancy swooping graphics) then Firefox displays properly.

Beans

switch ur background. I did that and it fixed mozilla for me.

Beans

Background? You mean like the desktop wallpaper? Switch it to what? Or did you mean something in Firefox?

Beans

if you hold alt while clicking anywhere inside the firefox window, it should let you drag the window off to one side so you can reach the resize tab

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Codename View Post
    I've had the same issue but I've solved it. What you need to do is for a temporary fix is press "F11" twice, or for the permanent fix, do the following, go into the Compiz Settings Manager, and find "Windows Decorations" add the following line to "Decoration Windows":
    Code:
    (any) | class=Firefox
    Once you've done that, close out CCSM, then open CCSM back up again, then change that to:
    Code:
    any
    Then that should solve the problem, it worked flawlessly. If that doesn't work you can always revert back to metacity:
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    OK. I installed the Compiz settings manager and found the Windows Decoration line. I pasted the | class=Firefox so it looked like you said and then closed it (Do I need to add parentheses around 'any'?). I reopened it and then removed what I just pasted and then closed it again. Was that right? It didn't seem to do anything.

Also, if I hit F11 twice is corrects itself. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes you need parentheses around any, it should look like this:
    Code:
    (any) | class=Firefox
    Copy and paste that in Decoration Windows, then close Firefox, then reopen Firefox, then switch:
    Code:
    (any) | class=Firefox
    To:
    Code:
    any
    Reboot Firefox and it should work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast