Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubantoo (name spelling reform suggestion)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubantoo (name spelling reform suggestion)

I agree that the name should be changed, but not to what the OP is proposing. I think the name 'Ooooobooooonnntoooooo' more clearly expresses the pronunciation required to get the word right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu (Did I say that in African American?)

I think the more important question at this point is:
    When did Africa move 4000km to the west? That is, since when do Africans live in "America"? You don't exist in some parallel universe do you?

On another topic, I have always thought the word Ubuntu looks really attractive in our alphabet. It isn't 100% symmetrical (which would be super cheesey), but it has a very smooth, rounded and even appearance. Everything about it is quite beautiful
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; November 13th, 2008 at 05:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZankerH View Post
    I feel that the name, "Ubuntu", should be re-spelt in order to appeal to the wider market. Here's my justification:

-It feels like too foreign a word, unless you happen to speak African-American.
    -In the majority of European languages (English included), it's not pronounced the same way as it is in African-American, therefore, can lead to name and brand confusion when used in spoken language, as opposed to written media.
    -If spelt "Ubantoo", it would comply perfectly with the pronunciation rules of the English languages and some others.
    -Many potential users I've spoken to find the name, along with the default African-American themed look, downright revolting.

Therefore, I suggest the name be spelt as "Ubantoo", which addresses all of the above points besides the default look, which can be changed easily.

Ubantoo - Time for Change! Yes we can!
    Think of all the other brands we have than aren't pronounced the way they are spelt in English...

SEAT (car manifacturer) pronounced say-at

Nestle pronounced ness-lay

Peugot pronounced Per-show (kind of lol)

Renault pronounced ren-oh

Mark thread as SOLVED please
    Last edited by Tomatz; November 13th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Without looking for the actual pronunciation, my initial thought was Ubuntu can either be "oo-BOON-too" or "YOU-boon-too". Nothing close "oo-BAN-too".

Although one of my friends saw me booting up Ubuntu and they read it as "oo-BAN-too", so you might have a point.

In any case, I think it's too late for a name change. Ubuntu is good, as it has meaning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The thread has been reported several times. I'm closing it for now, and for Staff review.

Edit: the thread will remain closed.
    Last edited by bapoumba; November 15th, 2008 at 02:45 PM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234