Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Beans

UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Howdy folks, as the title says, I've got a problem.

I tried to install Ubuntu Studio 8.04 using the UNetBootIN method, and when I get to the install process, it tells me that it could not find the CD. I think: well, duh... because it's USB.

I also tried the unetbootin method with UbuStu 8.10, no dice. Went on to try normal Ubuntu alt, (8.04 and 8.10) neither worked. As a control, I tested the Ubuntu livecd installer, worked like a charm. So, am I doing something wrong in setting the ISO within unetbootin and going from there, or are there some magical options that I have yet to discover that will make this work?

Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Not all computers are capable of booting from usb. When your pc boots up is there an option to press a key to bring up a boot menu? If so, insert the usb stick before switching on, boot up and bring up the boot menu. If the usb key shows up on the menu you're in business, if not your hardware probably doesn't support usb booting

Beans

Sorry, I was unclear. My computer supports booting from usb. I installed Intrepid using the unetbootin live usb installer.

Just the Alternate ISOs don't want to work with Unetbootin, I get a "cannot find CD" error.

Am I doing something wrong?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thelastfarmkid View Post
    Sorry, I was unclear. My computer supports booting from usb. I installed Intrepid using the unetbootin live usb installer.

Just the Alternate ISOs don't want to work with Unetbootin, I get a "cannot find CD" error.

Am I doing something wrong?
    can't see a reason why it wouldn't work with the alternative cd. I know unetbootin failed on me last week when trying to put the dektop iso of intrepid on a usb stick. I used dd to zero out the partition table on the usb stick, repartitioned it, and then and tried again. Then it worked fine. Worth a try.

Beans

I have the same problem. Installing Kubuntu 8.10 from UNetBootIn, selecting 8.10_x86_Live from the dropdown. Setup gets just past setting up the keyboard and network interface then bails as it can't find the CD. Standard install ISO has no such problem, but unfortunately I need to set up encrypted LVM.

Any wany to force it forward or mount it manually from the busybox console in a way that the install script can find?

Beans

I think I zero'd it out, not sure. I used the HP format tool. How can I be sure?

Maybe could somebody try to duplicate the error on purpose so I'm sure it's not just me?

I'm open to all ideas.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thelastfarmkid View Post
    I think I zero'd it out, not sure. I used the HP format tool. How can I be sure?

Maybe could somebody try to duplicate the error on purpose so I'm sure it's not just me?

I'm open to all ideas.

To zero out the partition table you just need to know what your usb stick is called (e.g. /dev/sdb,sdc.....). You can find this by doing sudo fdisk -l. Once you know what it is make sure it's unmounted. Then, if, for example, it was /dev/sdb, you would do the following:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1

Takes about a second. Pull out the stick and then reinsert it and partition it with gparted.

Warning: if you get the device number wrong you could cause serious damage to your system, so make sure you are certain off the details first.

Beans

i get this also

- the usb key DOES boot
    - in the first stage of the install, there is a cd detection process...and the installer will not continue.

from what I understand, the installer isn't aware of where it installing from and wants to detect a cd before moving on.

is very frustrating, because I can't get an adequate usb install from ubuntu in the way I need to install (alternate install from usb)

Beans
    Hidden!

im trying to get the UbuntuStudio AMD64, which is only available as an alternate install cd, working with Unetbootin. no joy.
    so far ive managed to get a tiny bit further than everbody else but nowhere near close to finishing. FYI ive not got a dvd burner so cant just burn a copy. would be nice. but a technical challenge is always good fun

from the installer, while choosing language, i Ctrl-Alt-F2 to a busybox terminal and
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /cdrom
    there are times that this can be temperamental, giving me device not found and illegal string blah blah. but when it works, this gets me past the "detect and mount cdrom" section but fails on me at the installing base system, due to something about not having the genuine install cd inserted.

there is obviously a flag or some kind which tests the installation media for something. it would just be nice if one of the DEVs could tell us how to disable it or workaround.
    regards
    my music
    myspace page
    Version: 3.12, GMU d? s:- a- C++ UL P L++ E--- W++ N+ o- K- w-- O- M V-- PS+++ PE Y PGP-- t+ 5 X- R+ tv- b DI- D++ G e h- r++ y+++

Beans

Did anyone find the solution for this problem? I'm facing the exactly same thing. It boots fine but stucks the installation trying to find the cd.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast