Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

no, what i ended up doing was installing the desktop version and then searching for, and installing the ubuntustudio-* meta-packages through aptitude.
    HTH
    Last edited by ankara; March 5th, 2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: i never get things right first time.
    my music
    myspace page
    Version: 3.12, GMU d? s:- a- C++ UL P L++ E--- W++ N+ o- K- w-- O- M V-- PS+++ PE Y PGP-- t+ 5 X- R+ tv- b DI- D++ G e h- r++ y+++

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

From memory, unetbootin needs a Live CD image to work (it doesn't really make sense for the alternate cd image to be used, when one thinks about it, if the creation of the USB is to act as a "Live CD"); I recognize that installation was the goal here, but that is, in and of itself, not the purpose of unetbootin, or at least as I understand its purpose.

Beans
    Hidden!

This isnt so much a Unetbootin issue, once the kernel is loaded, Unetbootin should have absolutely no control over what is run or how it is run, its purpose is to be a portable media bootloader. the issue is that the alternate cd has a flag set that disallows installation from any other media except CD. this means that you cannot install any other version of ubuntu from USB, such as the server or studio versions.
    my music
    myspace page
    Version: 3.12, GMU d? s:- a- C++ UL P L++ E--- W++ N+ o- K- w-- O- M V-- PS+++ PE Y PGP-- t+ 5 X- R+ tv- b DI- D++ G e h- r++ y+++

Beans

I have pretty much the same thing. When I go into the bios it says usb "not present." Even with usb stick in, and even after I set usb option to number one on the list in the bios boot sequence. There*s not much on google about "not present usb."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think a lot of people are having this problem. Can someone think of a workaround?? I spent my entire Sunday trying to work this out. This surely just requires a simple hack, telling the alternate install to get the data off the partition instead of the cd.

Anyone???

Just to reiterate, the problem is: Although unetbootin will allow you to boot (from usb or hdd, launching the installation procedure, it is unable to 'find' the cd drive to install from. This is obviously going to be the case, as the whole point of this procedure is to install without a cd drive.

The fact is that the Live CD (run through unetbootin or not) simply does not work with a lot of older machines, even if the installed version works fine. IF you can manage to install it.

Beans
    Hidden!

the really annoying thing about this issue is that there is no reason what-so-ever, that i can see at least, why the Ubuntu developers should cripple their own product in this way. for a distro that tries to be true to GNU principles, it flies in the face of that convention. dare i say it even smells like a M$ policy
    my music
    myspace page

Beans

Just use UNetbootin with regular Ubuntu as the option. It should download a 9MB text-mode installer. This installer will actually let you install Ubuntu Studio, it's one of the options in the task list in the "Select and install software" step.

The options you will want to check are:
    Audio creation and editing suite
    Ubuntu Studio desktop
    2D/3D creation and editing suite
    Video creation and editing suite

Beans
    Hidden!

@maybeway36: forgive me for being blunt. i think your post is more than a little unclear, how is this txt installer downloaded and at what point in the process, how is it accessed from the alternate cd ISO when that has its own installer. please give steps or cite references and links for us non-mindreaders
    one more thing, when the existing alternate txt installer is used (without clarification ive no idea how these two are different) the install fails well before the installer ever gets to the "Select and install software" choice for software installation. it fails before doing the "apt-get update" step to check the mirrors before giving the software choices. right after partitioning step if i remember correctly.
    my music
    myspace page

Beans

I've used the 9MB netboot installer before, but never throguh UNetbootin, so I really don't have any idea how to do that. I know it's just two files, linux and initrd.gz, and you can get them from the mini.iso for Intrepid or this folder. Once you get them running, it's fairly straightforward - the only real installation media is the Internet.
    If you already have UNetbootin installed on the USB drive, just put linux and initrd.gz in the root folder of the USB drive and add an entry to syslinux.cfg:
    Code:
    label ubuntu810
    menu label Ubuntu 8.10 netboot installer
    kernel /linux
    append initrd=/initrd.gz vga=normal

Beans
    Hidden!

ah yes, the old net-install option, i used to do this with debian over ftp. forgotten all about that. now surely that will work. ive no idea if the installer will show the ubuntustudio options (i doubt it but really hope your right and it does), if not then it could be no different to just installing the standard desktop version then apt-get'ing the meta-packages.
    however, its another workaround at least.
    thanks.
    when using Unetbootin its simply a case of selecting the drive you wish to install to and selecting the ISO to load onto that drive. the rest is pie or cake, depending if your sweet or savory
    Last edited by ankara; March 11th, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
    my music
    myspace page

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast