Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

I just did this yesterday as a matter of fact. Dropped the alternate install files through Unetbootin to a USB stick and it successfully installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop. So, just wanted to say that it IS possible to do just that.

However, there was no way to install the studio parts. Whenever I tried checking them, the installer said that it couldn't find the packages online, but when I left them out, it didn't have any problems proceeding with the installation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thelastfarmkid View Post
    Sorry, I was unclear. My computer supports booting from usb. I installed Intrepid using the unetbootin live usb installer.

Just the Alternate ISOs don't want to work with Unetbootin, I get a "cannot find CD" error.

Am I doing something wrong?
    No, you are not doing something wrong. I have found exactly the same problem, and so has some other people:
    I managed to fix the problem by downloading the network install (mini.iso) from:
    I used the 8.04 LTS Server Amd64 iso:

and am now past the cdrom not found problem. (use the mini.iso as the ISO image for unetbootin)

Hope this helps you and other people that have been googling for days on the problem.

Paul Tan.
    Last edited by paulctan; March 13th, 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

there are some interesting workarounds in that bug report, thanks for sharing. loop mounting the .iso to /cdrom is one i wish i'd thought of.
    :doh:
    my music
    myspace page
    Version: 3.12, GMU d? s:- a- C++ UL P L++ E--- W++ N+ o- K- w-- O- M V-- PS+++ PE Y PGP-- t+ 5 X- R+ tv- b DI- D++ G e h- r++ y+++

Beans

Question Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Hi guys

I am pretty new with ubuntu i have one old laptop HP pavilion PIII 850mhz 256 ram 18GB hd, this laptop dosent have the option of USB boot and dose not have a cd drive either... what i did was downloading unetbootin and installing the hole thing on my c: drive i restart my system and i had the option to boot XP on UNet so i choose unet, it booted up as a live cd normally i did 2 partitions one ext4 4gb and one swap 2 gb, and i start the installation process i give a user name and pass i click forward and i get the no cd found message any help??

thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The results of an (un- but almost-successful) experiment with this FWIW...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2616#msg192616

Beans

Looks like problem has been solved ;

Secondly, as of Ubuntu 8.10, unetbootin should be changed to pass cdrom-detect/try-usb=true as a kernel command line option if it wants the installer to try to probe USB devices. (Sorry, this won't work with 8.04.)

( from the bug report , https://bugs.launchpad.net/unetbootin/+bug/237867 )

i can confirm that it worked for my USB- 9.10 Studio installation on a desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just so it is clearly written for all my fellow n00bs out there, load the alternate cd up onto a USB drive using UNetBootin, then when at the boot screen, hit tab to edit the first entry, then write "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before the "--". Then hit enter, and you're good to go. Thanks for all those that posted before I did.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Quote Originally Posted by agreenbhm View Post
    Just so it is clearly written for all my fellow n00bs out there, load the alternate cd up onto a USB drive using UNetBootin, then when at the boot screen, hit tab to edit the first entry, then write "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before the "--". Then hit enter, and you're good to go. Thanks for all those that posted before I did.
    I can confirm this little solution still works perfectly for 10.04 beta 1 Alternate. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Beans

Smile Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Another method of doing this so the parameters are permanently set is to edit the syslinux.cfg file in the root directory of your flash drive once you've created the UNetBootin install.

Just open this file in a reasonable notepad app (I use notepad++ under Windows and gedit or vim under Ubuntu), look for the entry or entries you wish to modify and add in the following text before the "--" part of the "append" parameter for that entry.

Code:
    cdrom-detect/try-usb=true
    Once done, save, eject and then boot your box with the now fixed installer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geekoid View Post
    Another method of doing this so the parameters are permanently set is to edit the syslinux.cfg file in the root directory of your flash drive once you've created the UNetBootin install.

Just open this file in a reasonable notepad app (I use notepad++ under Windows and gedit or vim under Ubuntu), look for the entry or entries you wish to modify and add in the following text before the "--" part of the "append" parameter for that entry.

Code:
    cdrom-detect/try-usb=true
    Once done, save, eject and then boot your box with the now fixed installer
    sorry..can you tell me specific about the code??i'm newbie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast