Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Quote Originally Posted by rusti06 View Post
    sorry..can you tell me specific about the code??i'm newbie
    as geekoid said..
    just add the "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" after the "--" sign

i.e, i want to customizing my default line on alternate usb install, so i open the syslinux.cfg and find the "menu label default" and edit, the line goes like this :

Code:
    label unetbootindefault
    menu label Default
    kernel /ubnkern
    append initrd=/ubninit vga=normal -- quiet cdrom-detect/try-usb=true
    do the same action if want to fix the other option on our alternate usb install

Beans

Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

After many CD burned, i was still getting the "corrupted CD" error, no matter i used internal and external drives...

Just wanted to report that this trick worked for me too, with Ubuntu Alternate 10.04.1 64bit and UNetBootIn 471, on a HP ML115 with SATA RAID1.

Start UnetBootin, Select Ubuntu and "HDMedia_64", then create the pendrive.

Boot your machine with the USB pendrive.

Select the menu item "Install", DON'T press ENTER, just press TAB and add the "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before the "--", press ENTER and sit down.

Thank you.

Beans

Another method

Hi,

The method with "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" didn't work for me. Here is what I do when I want to install Ubuntu (or Debian) with UNetBootIn. It requires two USB sticks.

1. Download the iso image of Ubuntu.

2. Use UNetBootIn to make a bootable USB stick from the iso image.

3. Create a partition on your other USB stick, which must be big enough to put the iso image on it (I usually make it a few MB bigger).

4. Overwrite this partition with the iso image. Let's say the partition is named /dev/sdc1. Then run this shell command:
    Code:
    dd if=/tmp/ubuntu-10.04.1-server-i386.iso of=/dev/sdc1
    Of course, replace /tmp/ubuntu-10.04.1-server-i386.iso with the path of your iso image, and /dev/sdc1 with the path to the partition you created on the USB stick. Remember the number of this partition (number 1 if the partition is /dev/sdc1, number 2 if the partition is /dev/sdc2, etc).

5. boot on the USB stick you created with UNetBootIn.

6. Run the installer normally until it says "No common CD-ROM drive was detected" and asks "Load CD-ROM drivers from removable media?"
    Chose "NO".
    Then it asks "Manually select a CD-ROM module and device?"
    Chose "YES".
    Then it asks to chose a module from a list, chose "none".
    Then it asks for the device file for accessing the CD-ROM.
    Here you must plug the second USB stick. You can press alt+F2 to switch to a console that you can use to find out the name of the partition that contains the iso image (that you wrote with the dd command).
    Type this:
    Code:
    cat /proc/partitions
    To list all partitions
    Or you can type this:
    Code:
    tail /var/log/syslog
    to see what the kernel did with the USB stick you just inserted (it should say what device name it gave to it).

Let's say the device name is /dev/sde. Then the partition is /dev/sde followed by the number I told you to remember at step 4, so it's /dev/sde1.
    So come back to the previous screen by pressing alt+F1 and type /dev/sde1 in the dialog box. Press enter and you're done.

Beans

Smile Re: UNetBootIn Alternate CD Install Error: "Cannot find CD"

Hello All,

This seems to have worked for the "Cannot find CD" error when I tried to install version 10.10:

1. Boot your machine with the USB stick.
    2. Select the menu item "Install Ubuntu Studio"
    3. Press TAB (don't press enter)
    4. Add "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before the "--" (excluding the quotes)
    5. Press ENTER

This worked on my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

The radio (wifi) wasn't detected during install, so I needed to hook up directly during install -- I may have more questions for all of you for how to configure it.

Jake

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234