Thread: Problem after switching from Compiz-Switch to Compiz Fusion Icon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Problem after switching from Compiz-Switch to Compiz Fusion Icon

Hello, I have been playing a bit tonight and setup compiz to autorun when I load into my desktop which was great. However I also came across the Compiz Fusion Icon app that I decided to use instead of Compiz-Switch but I have started having problems after removing Compiz-Switch. Here's a screenshot:

View with bugged graphics and no-compiz effects

You can see that it appears that Metacity is enable or that compiz is bugged..also my compiz effects do not work. Whenver I check using the Compiz Fusion Icon it still lists it as being set to Compiz though. The only fix I have is to set to Metacity and then back to Compiz or reload the Windows Manager (Compiz Fusion Icon option)...here's the result though:

after reloading Compiz Icon, everything is working

Any idea what is causing this problem, I would really prefer to keep the system tray icon version of the app but if I need to I will reinstall compiz-switch.

Any help would be much appreciated!

*edit*
    for now I have removed Compiz Fusion Icon and reinstalled Compiz-Switch which has solved the issue for now....guess this will do but if any of you know the cause of the issues or how to fix it please let me know. Thanks! Perhaps this is due to the fact I am running Intrepid...
    Last edited by grimdeath; November 11th, 2008 at 07:42 AM.
    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." -- Isaac Asimov

Beans

Re: Problem after switching from Compiz-Switch to Compiz Fusion Icon

First, i apologize for NOT having an answer for your question, but I could not help myself. I saw Fallout 3 on your desktop, and I know this is probably a stupid question, but have you figured out how to game in Linux?? or are you dual booting like the rest of us?? If I could use my games in Linux, Micro$ucks would disappear from my home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Nah sorry man, I dual boot. I just leave the disc in there all the time. There is quite a a few choices for gaming on linux but newer games like Fallout arent likely to work without a native client. You should really go check out the gaming section of this forum if you want more help on getting started with a few games.
    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." -- Isaac Asimov

Beans

Thanks for the reply... I just had to ask, in case.....
    Anyway, I am looking into the Compiz fusion problem too, which is why I landed on this thread. I am trying to find an easy way to pop in and out of Compiz desktop, because when I am watching videos, I get flicker. Have tried dozens of solutions, some of which totally buggered my Ubuntu install (had to spend 30 seconds repairing in the "recovery" section of GRUB menu to fix those ones) If I find anything, I will come back and post.
    I could just keep shutting off Compiz when I watch videos, and then turning it back on, and importing my desktop config..... but that just doesn't seem right. I really want to watch a smooth, non flickering video, and spin my Compiz desktop around while having 10 windows open. Ubuntu has spoiled me. My expectations are now too high.