Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using bcm5974 for tap click

Beans

Re: Using bcm5974 for tap click

it doesn't work either way, I've tried it with both.

Beans

As cyberdork says, remove the whole synaptics section, and all references to it. Attached is an example of a working file (You may not want the keyboard config, but this is a test).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

copied your xorg.conf over mine and it's still not working. Didn't remove the keyboard stuff for testing purposes.

running the diagnostics still says that SHMC is disabled. Is there anything else I can take a look at to give a better idea of why it's not working?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaspertandy View Post
    copied your xorg.conf over mine and it's still not working. Didn't remove the keyboard stuff for testing purposes.

running the diagnostics still says that SHMC is disabled. Is there anything else I can take a look at to give a better idea of why it's not working?
    Did you reboot after doing this?

Beans
    Hidden!

Well... I overlooked a few issues...

1. Remove everything about input devices from your xorg.conf. Input configuration is now completely based on hal, and the xorg.conf will only interfere with it. It is now mainly used for graphics.
    (personally I liked the xorg.conf better than the hal XML files, but that's the way Xorg is going)

2. It is not recommended to enable SHMConfig. This options shares your touchpads RAM space with other user processes, so you can use gsynaptics, syndaemon etc to configure your touchpad... which you can perfectly do via hal anyway. SHMConfig is considered a huge security hole.

3. My fdi file is expecting the appletouch driver (MacbookPro 3.1).
    You can see this if you look at lines 4 and 5 (the "match" entries)...
    Although I thought that should work for newer models as well (since "appletouch" should be in the product identifier there as well), I don't know what to look for exactly on a Penryn Mac, but you might want to try matching other keys ("info.xxx" contains="bcm5974"). Perhaps someone who owns a newer Macbook knows what exactly you have to write there...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bryonak View Post
    Yes! I overlooked this one, too. Change 'appletouch' to 'bcm5974' in your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/appletouch.fdi file, and you should be good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    Did you reboot after doing this?
    I restarted X - is a full reboot necessary?

Well... I overlooked a few issues...

You can see this if you look at lines 4 and 5 (the "match" entries)...
    Although I thought that should work for newer models as well (since "appletouch" should be in the product identifier there as well), I don't know what to look for exactly on a Penryn Mac, but you might want to try matching other keys ("info.xxx" contains="bcm5974"). Perhaps someone who owns a newer Macbook knows what exactly you have to write there...
    sorry, are you saying that I need to wrap another <match...></match> around all the <merge>....</merge> nodes but within the existing info.product one? when you say info.xxx, what are the possible things it could be? Is there any documentation I can read on this?

edit: ahh, just saw kosumi's most recent one - rebooting now. Will post results.

Beans

ooook, so now it seems that 2 finger right click works, but moving the cursor with the trackpad is no longer working! :/

any ideas?

actually, everything's working but it's really intermittent!

Beans
    Hidden!

Now it's tweaking time...

Maybe the pressure ranges are completely different with the bcm pads, or you should use the options I have set to 0 in my config.

For some documentation, open a terminal and type 'man synaptics'
    There's a nice overview here and for extensive tweaking tips, you might want to look into the gentoo wiki, (those people do nothing else all the time )...

To check for errors, type 'dmesg | tail' in a terminal, this will give you the recent entries in the dmesg log file.

I'm sorry I can't give you concrete solutions, but that's the problem with closed, new hardware - no one in the FOSS community knows how it works until they try it out.

If you have a good, working fdi file, you might want to upload it for other Penryn users.

Beans

Now it's tweaking time...
    It seems the real problem was only the xorg.conf file. The initial settings for bcm5974 are fine, except the tapping needs to be turned on. Copy the /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/11-x11-synaptics.fdi file to /etc/hal/fdi/policy, remove (or move away) the appletouch.fdi file, and change these lines in 11-x11-synaptics.fdi:
    Code:
    <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">3</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">2</merge>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast