Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NEW -- mythchanger firewire channel changer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: NEW -- mythchanger firewire channel changer

my apologies to anyone posting, emailing or PMing regarding this, or other mythtv/firewire related utils, that might have gone unanswered...

i no longer have a firewire capable STB and not a lot of free time these days to suss problems with new STBs from long-distance.
    (new job and i'm now coding in iPhone app-land)

i'm happy to answer questions and hopefully point people in the right direction when i can, but further code changes or additions from this end are not very likely.

happy new year to the great ubuntu and mythbuntu communities!

Beans

Just in case anyone's still using this (I've not found a better Motorola changer), I worked out an annoying issue. I wanted to use the -P functionality of the changer script so I could schedule recordings even if the box is powered off, and Myth would power on the box to do the recording.

I found that using the -P option would just stop Myth from working in TV mode at all. Using it from the frontend it'd try and then dump back to the menu immediately after the channel changed.

With some Google help I realized this is due to an unfortunate timeout clash. Myth has a hardcoded timeout: when first launching the TV mode, it'll give up if it takes longer than 7 seconds. mythchanger's -P has a hardcoded 5 second timeout after powering on the box (I assume to ensure it's settled down enough to accept the channel change). With the rest of the overhead in the process, it took mythchanger too long to power on the box and change the channel, and myth would give up waiting for it just a half second or so before it was done.

So I experimented with reducing mythchanger's timeout. You can do this by changing the value on line 510 of mythchanger.c . I've found that 2.5 seconds - value 2500 - works well for my 6200; in tests it seems reliably able to power on the box and change the channel correctly with this time out, and it's fast enough for Myth not to give up on it. Lower timeouts mean it doesn't always change the channel correctly that first time.

So, if you hit the same frustration, try it.

It'd be nice if mythchanger could tell if the box is on and only do the power on operation if it's not, so I didn't need to wait for the 'power on' timeout every time Myth changes channel, but never mind
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    So I experimented with reducing mythchanger's timeout. You can do this by changing the value on line 510 of mythchanger.c . I've found that 2.5 seconds - value 2500 - works well for my 6200; in tests it seems reliably able to power on the box and change the channel correctly with this time out, and it's fast enough for Myth not to give up on it. Lower timeouts mean it doesn't always change the channel correctly that first time.
    I had the same observation a few months ago and modified the mythchanger code just like you did. I started with 1 second, then 2..., but if I recall I ended up leaving it at 5 seconds because I still had errors when it was faster. But I have a Motorola DCH3200 set top box, so that could be the difference.

Thanks for writing this up - I considered my experiment a failure so I didn't; it didn't occur to me that it might still be helpful for people with different model boxes!

Beans

I just want to say thanks for this utility. Myth is supposed to support the DCX3200 but I guess there are a lot of different ids on that STB and it isn't supported out of the box. I was going to patch Myth itself but I found this and it works just fine with -f 7. My ids are:
    STB Vendor ID: 0x25f1 Model ID: 0xf804

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffinora View Post
    Is there any reason why this script might not work with a Hauppauge HDPVR?

I am trying to set-up a new MythTV box, with HDPVR and Rogers SA3250 STB.

I followed the HDPVR wiki and with my channel change script set to /bin/true live TV works.

I can run Mythchanger from command line mythchanger -f2 -c128 tunes my STB to channel 128 etc.

When I try to change channels with myth by using "mythchanger -f2" in my mythtv-setup channel change configuration, live tv no longer works.

Here is the log output I get:-

2008-12-24 15:16:37.609 Spawning LiveTV Recorder -- begin
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.610 TVRec(1): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.613 TVRec(1): HW Tuner: 1->1
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.649 Channel(/dev/video0) Error: GetCurrentChannelNum(128): Failed to find Channel
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.649 Channel(/dev/video0)::TuneTo(128): Error, failed to find channel.
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.649 TVRec(1) Error: Failed to set channel to 2. Reverting to kState_None
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.649 TVRec(1): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.650 Spawning LiveTV Recorder -- end
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.650 GetEntryAt(-1) failed.
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.650 EntryToProgram(0@Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969) failed to get pginfo
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.651 TV Error: HandleStateChange(): LiveTV not successfully started
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.651 We have a RingBuffer
    2008-12-24 15:16:37.651 TV Error: LiveTV not successfully started

Stupid question, but could someone confirm "mythchanger -f2" without the "" is the correct syntax (I have tried "mythcahnger", and "mythchanger -f2 -c" as well but with same results) to use in the channel change script box in mythtv-setup.
    Chuffinora's post is very old, but I was having the exact same problem and was able to solve it by running: "sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/mythchanger". This changes user privileges on the mythchanger file to grant temporary root privileges during the execution of mythchanger. Hope this is of help!

Quinn

Beans

I am getting 0 ports found. Does this mean that its not detecting my firewire ports? or that no stb firewire ports were found? FYI I have an sa 8300hdc on time warner cable.

grygub@myth-livingroom:/usr/bin$ mythchanger -c 55 -v

mythchanger .10f beta

Acquiring firewire handle... OK.
    0 port(s) found
    0 STB(s) found:
    -------------
    Invalid changer option

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grygub View Post
    I am getting 0 ports found. Does this mean that its not detecting my firewire ports? or that no stb firewire ports were found? FYI I have an sa 8300hdc on time warner cable.

grygub@myth-livingroom:/usr/bin$ mythchanger -c 55 -v

mythchanger .10f beta

Acquiring firewire handle... OK.
    0 port(s) found
    0 STB(s) found:
    -------------
    Invalid changer option

first open a terminal and type
    Code:
    plugreport
    if it shows up then you need to fix your mythchanger code, if not call your cable company and ask them for a working firewire port cablebox

I use
    Code:
    mythchanger -f 4 -c [channel number]
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Please see post number 6 on the following link for current complications with Xfinity upgrade. Same Cisco RNG-150, however, now my firewire control has died.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1693057

UPDATE:
    Please read my latest update on page 3 of the link above. Basically I cannot get mythchanger to function with the Scientific Atlanta Model SA3250HD either.
    Last edited by Nausser; August 7th, 2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: update

Beans

Hello,

I've read this thread several times but don't think my particular issue is mentioned, although a few have had similar issues, their fix does not fix my issues.

I am running Myth 0.24 with a HD PVR. I have a SD8300HD box. I have everything working great with the exception of channel changes. If i use /bin/true in the backend, everything works ok. If I add mythchanger -c or mythchanger -f 4 -c then live tv does not start.

I saw the post above on permissions so I chmod 777 the mythchanger script but still no luck

If I logon via Terminal and type mythchanger -c 1100 then it works fine

Any ideas?

Jon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234