Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Hard drive won't boot,CPU fan runs and shuts down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Angry [SOLVED] Hard drive won't boot,CPU fan runs and shuts down

Well,this was the first time I removed my internal HDD to get the alternate ISOs of Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.10 from a friend.When I got there,my friend's PC refused to boot while my HDD was connected.There were NO shocks when traveling.As I left,the bag containing the HDD slightly bumped against the elevator's wall.
    Alarmed by these,I plugged in the HDD first thing when I got home and the symptoms are the same,the CPU fan runs for a second and dies.The PC won't boot.
    Can someone help me please?
    Many TIA.

PSosting from Live CD 8.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hard drive won't boot,CPU fan runs and shuts down

Have a look in your BIOS, see if the drive is recognized there. Also check that all the external links a still seated correctly. i presume the drive is linked as master?
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro

Primary Master,yes.What do you mean by external links?Please explain in n00b language.Those bean counts count for nothing when it comes to hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is normally a link on the back of the drive wich you can move to define wether the drive is a master or slave. It may not work if its defined as slave and there is no master on the bus.

Also try booting with the LIVECD, you should then be able to examine your disk
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro

The HDD is still set as master.I will reboot and get back if I'm able to boot into LiveCD with the HDD connected.

Beans
    Distro

The PC doesn't boot whenever the HDD power cable is connected,even from LiveCD.The CPU fan just runs for a second or so and dies.Since the HDD doesn't have power,the HDD is not recognized either.

EDIT:The HDD is a PATA,Samsung SP0842N.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    The PC doesn't boot whenever the HDD power cable is connected,even from LiveCD.The CPU fan just runs for a second or so and dies.Since the HDD doesn't have power,the HDD is not recognized either.

Carefully remove the ribbon cable from the drive and mother board.

Remove the drive from the case.

Check the back of the drive for bent or missing pins. There should be 39 pins on a 40-pin IDE Ribbon Cable.

Your drive should be set to Master if it's the only HDD you have. You can also try CS (Cable Select) if it's supported.

Plug the cable back into the drive, press firmly, make sure it's all the way in.
    Use the master connector (if there are three connectors on the cable, use the one closest to the end and nearest the second connector). If there are two connectors, it shouldn't matter.

Plug the cable back into the board. Make sure you press firmly and push the cable all the way in. Make sure you've connected the drive to the first IDE Channel.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post

Obviously you suspect you HDD is dead. So that's probably true.
    However You shouldn't give up!
    Try different Data cables and power connectors.
    Try making it slave.
    Try putting in different PC.
    Try leaving HDD for a few days.

And always remember when carrying sensitive hardware outdoors, it shouldn't be powered for at least 15 minutes when carried back to PC (or other device).

EDIT: Ouch, Samsung! I never put money into Samsung HDDs or other devices (unless I'm short on money)
    If it makes funny noises it usually doesn't... it doesn't suggest anything "healthy".
    Last edited by JohnLM_the_Ghost; November 10th, 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DGortze380 View Post
    Carefully remove the ribbon cable from the drive and mother board.
    The end attached to the motherboard doesn't come out,and I'm not sure I should use brute force.
    Check the back of the drive for bent or missing pins. There should be 39 pins on a 40-pin IDE Ribbon Cable.
    No missing pins,and as far as I can see,none are bent.
    Your drive should be set to Master if it's the only HDD you have. You can also try CS (Cable Select) if it's supported.
    I have only one HDD.
    Plug the cable back into the drive, press firmly, make sure it's all the way in.
    Use the master connector (if there are three connectors on the cable, use the one closest to the end and nearest the second connector). If there are two connectors, it shouldn't matter.

Plug the cable back into the board. Make sure you press firmly and push the cable all the way in. Make sure you've connected the drive to the first IDE Channel.
    What master connector?Before I removed the HDD,there were only two connectors connected in it.One was the ribbon(data) cable and the other was the 4 pin,female power connector.Since,I couldn't remove the cable from the motherboard,I haven't connected it back either.

Beans
    Distro

DGortze380:
    Reboot after above steps didn't resolve the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast