Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu BLack Screen with only white dash blinking

Beans

Question Ubuntu BLack Screen with only white dash blinking

Hello I am new to Linux , after getting sick of Microsoft crashes and bugs I decided to install Ubuntu . I did everything requested, iso in USB , installed and removed vista , which was my previous OS , everything went fine , so when I do my first reboot required in the installation all I get is a black screen with a white dash , it does not go anywhere , can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu BLack Screen with only white dash blinking

Couple pieces of information would helpful. What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? What kind of hardware does your computer have? etc.

Did you successfully go through the installation screen and then try the first reboot?

The more you provide the easier it is for us to help.

Beans

Oh okay , I installed Ubuntu 11.10 , everything went fine just until rebooting which all that shows up is a black screen , can only boot Ubuntu from USB. Computer specs E1200 dual core 1.6 Ghz
    3Gb Ram 32 bits , intel 82495g express chipset family
    HDD 250 GB

Beans

I can run Ubuntu from the USB but not from HDD as it gets the black screen with the white dash , but Vista was running fine so I don t think the problem is of the HDD .

Beans

Have you tried re-installing? Also, did you reformat everything on the hard drive during the install process?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is your computer trying to boot from the USB? Make sure in the BIOS that it is set to boot from the hard drive and not your USB ports (and I'm sorry that you had to experience VIsta; Microsoft's worst creation!)
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phosphide View Post
    Have you tried re-installing? Also, did you reformat everything on the hard drive during the install process?
    Yes , several times, I tried the Upgrade Ubuntu from version 11.10 to 11.10 option aswell nothing seems to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eirreann View Post
    Is your computer trying to boot from the USB? Make sure in the BIOS that it is set to boot from the hard drive and not your USB ports (and I'm sorry that you had to experience VIsta; Microsoft's worst creation!)
    Haha yeah the difference between Ubuntu and Vista s speed is remarkable really enjoying it , and yes I have the HDD as the first booting device in Bios .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by H4wkBlaster View Post
    Haha yeah the difference between Ubuntu and Vista s speed is remarkable really enjoying it , and yes I have the HDD as the first booting device in Bios .
    Okay, then try to get a hold of a blank disc, put the Ubuntu ISO on it (follow the instructions on ubuntu.com) and try re-installing it with that; back when I installed Ubuntu, I had some partitioning issues as well (my HDD wasn't letting the partition be created) so I tried installing it via USB rather than disc, which seemed to work... maybe the ISO file just had trouble writing onto your USB.
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eirreann View Post
    Okay, then try to get a hold of a blank disc, put the Ubuntu ISO on it (follow the instructions on ubuntu.com) and try re-installing it with that; back when I installed Ubuntu, I had some partitioning issues as well (my HDD wasn't letting the partition be created) so I tried installing it via USB rather than disc, which seemed to work... maybe the ISO file just had trouble writing onto your USB.

Tried with CD and got the same thing , but when I went to reinstall Ubuntu with USB it only showed up the Erase Disk and install Ubuntu so I selected that option and now it's on "Please Wait" for 2 hours so far . Is it formatting the disk? I thought it was doing that on previous installations but they only took about half an hour so could it be that it skipped that step in the other ones? Have my fingers crossed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast