Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice.org3 Headless and Ubuntu Server Edition

Beans

OpenOffice.org3 Headless and Ubuntu Server Edition

Has anyone managed to get OpenOffice3 working in Ubuntu Server Edition as a headless server.

I downloaded it from OpenOffice.org, extracted it, dpkg -i *.deb.

Some additional packages required were:

apt-get install libxext6 libsm6 libfreetype6

But it died as soon as it started:

soffice -headless -accept="socket,port=8100;urp;" -nofirststartwizard&

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: OpenOffice.org3 Headless and Ubuntu Server Edition

Possibly a stupid question but how do you use OpenOffice on a headless box?

Curious as to what the goal is.

Thanks and GL
    Compaq HP Proliant 5500 quad 550MHZ 500MB cache 1.5GB Ram
    Shes my baby but doesn't she make a Load of noise!!!
    www.houseofhawkins.com - My development site with bits and bobs on

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtwig View Post
    how do you use OpenOffice on a headless box?

Curious as to what the goal is.
    The purpose is to use it as a document conversion server. It automatically converts documents on demand from .doc => .odt => .pdf, whatever you want.

Most popular approach is using jodconverter:

See - http://www.artofsolving.com/opensource/jodconverter

Software using OpenOffice.org as a server include:

- KnowledgeTree - http://wiki.knowledgetree.com/Knowle...e_Only_Install
    - OpenMeetings http://code.google.com/p/openmeeting...fficeConverter
    - Alfresco - http://www.alfresco.com/

I have it working with OpenOffice.org 2.4.1, that's real easy. We want to use OpenOffice.org 3 since it will allow for MS Office 2007 files (.docx, etc).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thats very cool!
    Compaq HP Proliant 5500 quad 550MHZ 500MB cache 1.5GB Ram
    Shes my baby but doesn't she make a Load of noise!!!
    www.houseofhawkins.com - My development site with bits and bobs on

Beans

I may recommend that setup to my school district. They've been looking around for an easier way to create .pdf files.
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans

Any progress on this?

This should get your server going if you installed the openoffice.org-headless package

Code:
    /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice -headless -accept="socket,port=8100;urp" -nofirststartwizard -display 0.0  &
    I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get the documents to be converted still though

Beans

After installing via the method you mention above, the command

Code:
    /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -headless -accept="socket,port=8100;urp" -nofirststartwizard -display 0.0  &
    Seems to get me going - but because we're talking openoffice.org3, the -display 0.0 should be unnecessary, and the -nofirststatwizard doesn't seem to be an issue either so

Code:
    /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -headless accept="socket,port=8100;urp" &
    To do a conversion manually at the command line(assuming you have jodconverter in /opt:

Code:
    java -jar /opt/jodconverter-2.2.1/lib/jodconverter-cli-2.2.1.jar infile.doc outfile.pdf
    Now if Drupal would realize that the server is working...It's currently in denial

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm trying to use openoffice3.org on Ubuntu 8.10 in server mode to do conversions too.

I'm using the python oood daemon with openoffice-python/openoffice-interact[1] and found that it wouldn't work unless I installed the package openoffice.org, even though I had installed openoffice3.org already.

When I try some conversions, it works for .docx, but not for .xlsx or .pptx,
    giving the error:

return self._desktop.loadComponentFromURL(url, target, 0, properties)
    com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URL seems to be an unsupported one.

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/openoffice.interact/0.1

How are others using openoffice3 server mode?

btw, the oood daemon is nice because it spawns many soffice servers and exposes only 1 socket port.

Beans

Hello. I don't understand, i'm trying to install OpenOffice 3 with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS but can't get it working.

- I download the tar.gz file from openoffice.org
    - Extract with tar xvzf
    - lunch the dpkg -i *.deb from the new directory, everything seems to work (besides the openoffice.org3-dict-blablabla that requires javaldx or something)

Then, i need to run it in headless mode. First thing, i had to figure that the god damn software was installed in /opt/openoffice.org3 and not /usr/lib like all the scripts where refering too.

So, whenever i lunch :
    - /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin i got "No Such file or directory"

And when i lunch-
    - - /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice i got "The Program Soffice is currently not installed. You can install it by typing apt-get install openoffice.org-common"

Well, i don't know the difference between soffice and soffice.bin, plus i don't understand why if the .bin is there, it said "no such file" ! Moreover, soffice is not installed, but i ran the dpkg -i over all the deb.

The whole thing is really hard, because i don't have internet, so i can't run the apt-get install command. I only got my Ubuntu ISO file image that i made a copy in /media/

Thanks for your help.

Beans

Here are the packages I have installed.
    ii openoffice.org-base-core 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- shared library
    ii openoffice.org-common 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- arch-independen
    ii openoffice.org-core 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- arch-dependent
    ii openoffice.org-draw 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- drawing
    ii openoffice.org-emailmerge 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- email mail merg
    ii openoffice.org-math 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- equation editor
    ii openoffice.org-style-galaxy 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- Galaxy (Default
    ii openoffice.org-writer 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1 office productivity suite -- word processor

List of files is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast