Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: having problems switching to linux from powerbook g4 that ran on OSX

Beans

Talking having problems switching to linux from powerbook g4 that ran on OSX

I am a complete newb. The reason I converted to Linux is because my boyfriend is an IT tech. For the most part I have figured out Linux. I am running ubuntu 8.04.
    The main problems that I have are:
    Can't play youtube videos and can't view pictures on webshots?
    I am having trouble finding a PIM application like KOrgonizer, but for Gnome?
    Do you have any suggestion on a good guide, that can help me get pretty in depth, but has screenshots?

A good direction where to start would be so helpful!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: having problems switching to linux from powerbook g4 that ran on OSX

There is a free-and-open-source Flash player called Gnash that will work on your PowerPC, but I don't know if it supports Youtube again. It did for a while.

Otherwise, Totem Media Player has a Youtube viewing plugin. If you click the popup menu in the sidebar, you can go down to "YouTube" and do a search there.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i downloaded Flash Player 10 from adobe, (using 8.06 too) uninstalled the flashplayer-nonfree from synaptic, and then installed the new player:

a.- after extracting the contents from the *.tar.gz, get inside the newly created folder, and you will see a file like "flash-whatever-installer.sh"

b.- Navigate to that folder using the terminal, and type "sh flash-whatever-installer.sh" and follow the instructions (it will ask you to close down your browser at certain point).

c.- Don't have problems with Flash anymore.
    IN GIRUM IMUS NOCTE ET CONSUMIMUR IGNI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Dranath999 View Post
    i downloaded Flash Player 10 from adobe, (using 8.06 too) uninstalled the flashplayer-nonfree from synaptic, and then installed the new player:

a.- after extracting the contents from the *.tar.gz, get inside the newly created folder, and you will see a file like "flash-whatever-installer.sh"

b.- Navigate to that folder using the terminal, and type "sh flash-whatever-installer.sh" and follow the instructions (it will ask you to close down your browser at certain point).

c.- Don't have problems with Flash anymore.
    Are you using a powerPC Mac?

Beans

Thanks all! i tried using Gnash but it still doesn't seem to work. So ill try both Flash 10 and Totem.
    Another problem Im having is I can't connect to the internet at my house, but every where else I am able to.
    I am wondering if it is because we use an airport or some other reason.
    My provider is Verizon.
    When I type the password, even though it is the correct password I can't gain access.
    Am i doing something wrong, it's a WEP and it asks for a bit-passphrase. i have nvere run into this problem before. any suggestions?

Beans

I am using a powerbook g4 mac

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by computerilliterate View Post
    I am using a powerbook g4 mac
    Sorry, I know you are, My enquiry was directed at Dan.

Beans

Talking Re: having problems switching to linux from powerbook g4 that ran on OSX

okay, i understand. because i tried to do what he said and it didn't work. do you have any ideas?

Beans

Can you view utube on totem when you get to connect to the net?

I can't help you with wireless, I avoid it like the plague.

I think that you will get a quicker result if you post your problem in the Apple users sub-forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328

Beans

thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast