Thread: Ram Upgrade Failed.

Beans

Angry [Solved] Ram Upgrade Failed.

Last week I came across two 512 mb PC133 kingston kvr133x64sc3l/512 ram-sticks. i thought it would be nice to upgrade my laptop with those. I replaced the two 256mb pc133 with the two 512. The computer did not wanna boot. after playing around, i managed to make it boot with a 512 and a 256 stick. However, ubuntu did not wanna get past the grub menu. teh same with XP. upon restoring to my original config, it worked fine.

I attached a zipped html generated with "sudo lshw -html > ~/Desktop/hardware.html"

It specifies that my motherboard could potentially pull 1 gig, yet it did not want to do that. Do i have a dammaged RAM, is it my computers fault, or am i doing something wrong.

any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by meatcar; November 11th, 2008 at 12:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ram Upgrade Failed.

I'd use Kingstons ram configurator and see if the machine requires a particular set of ram chips. Compare model numbers given by the configurator with the model numbers on the chips you have.
    http://www.kingston.com/

Beans

Kingston makes good DIMMs IME, check to see if your machine needs anything special, if not give them a call.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

The Kingston Configurator tells me that my system maxes out at 512mb of memory. Linux tells me otherwise. Which one do I trust?

Its not like my laptop was unusable. It went through GRUB with the new chip in it. It just didnt wanna go naywhere after that.

Is it possible to plug it into your computerwhile its up?

THX

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meatcar View Post
    The Kingston Configurator tells me that my system maxes out at 512mb of memory. Linux tells me otherwise. Which one do I trust?

Its not like my laptop was unusable. It went through GRUB with the new chip in it. It just didnt wanna go naywhere after that.

Is it possible to plug it into your computerwhile its up?

THX
    NO. DO NOT PLUG THINGS INTO THE MOTHERBOARD WHILE IT IS ELECTRICALLY HOT. DO NOT DO IT. IT *WILL* DAMAGE YOUR HARDWARE-BOTH DIMMS AND MOTHERBOARD.

I only yell for good reason.

What does your machine's manufacturer say on the topic? Normally I'd trust the Kingston configurator-this all boils down to your particular motherboard, and its spec.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Everywhere i looked it told me the max for my motherboard was 512. I guess linux just lied to me. that should deffinately be looked at, and fixed.

thanks for all your help guys.