Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want the old user switcher / shutdown screen thing back...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question I want the old user switcher / shutdown screen thing back...

how do i go about getting the old user switcher thing ( the one i had in Hardy "before" i upgraded ) back...?

i really don't care for this one at all and it dosen't even work right , i can't switch user..!

i would really like to have the shutdown button back at the upper right corner again next to the clock...

i want the one that looks alot like this one back..

Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    Registered Linux user #419240.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans
    Distro

Re: I want the old user switcher / shutdown screen thing back...

bump
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans
    Distro

bump again...

this is getting old already
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you right click the panel, Add to Panel, there is an laucher called "Shut Down" that has the old options on it (Stop, Suspend, Hibernate, Restart). It doesn't have the user switcher option but if you are the only one using the machine most of the time you won't miss that. Just stick the new gray button next to the red one and you can take your pick.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    If you right click the panel, Add to Panel, there is an laucher called "Shut Down" that has the old options on it (Stop, Suspend, Hibernate, Restart). It doesn't have the user switcher option but if you are the only one using the machine most of the time you won't miss that. Just stick the new gray button next to the red one and you can take your pick.
    that isn't really what i asked for though , i want the old one back like i had in Hardy... like when i press Ctrl-Alt-Del a little menu pops up with all the options ...

i thought ubuntu was based on freedom of choice...?
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Two bumps in three hours? Patience, friend.

This change affects Gnome as well as Ubuntu. If you want your old Shut Down button back, you have a few choices:

1. Roll back to Hardy.
    2. Program your own applet. See if you can pull from the Gnome 2.22 panel applets source code for time savings.
    3. Wait for someone else to do it.

The System menu has all the shut down options broken down nicely, courtesy of the Gnome devs. The FUSA applet (the thing that replaced your shut down button) is a hack from the Ubuntu devs.

The folks at Canonical want to make it so that when the FUSA applet is showing, the buttons in the System menu will disappear. I agree that this is how it should behave. However, I prefer the way that the System menu Shut Down button works over the FUSA "Suspend | Hibernate | Restart | Shutdown" one-click options. Also, it bothers me that none of the FUSA options have icons.

I guess my point is, you're not alone in not liking FUSA. But this is the way they're going with it.
    Last edited by aaaantoine; November 10th, 2008 at 05:37 AM.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have both icons next to each other on the panel. I know when I move the mouse toward them whether I plan on shutting down (shut down, hibernate, suspend or restart) or switch users, so it's not a big deal to me. It costs me a quarter inch of panel space to have the two icons. I do agree with you in that I prefer the old way better.

As for the freedom of choice, we are all free to develop our own apps, incorporate them into the operating system, and share them with other members of the ubuntu community if we so choose.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post
    Two bumps in three hours? Patience, friend.
    well when my questions fall on deaf ears / get knocked off to page 5 or 6 in the forums - never to be seen by anyone willing to help - i kinda have to bump two times in three hours , i really don't see how that is too many times anyhow...

1. Roll back to Hardy

not willing to do that... i even asked about almost that very same thing , really didn't get any help there...http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=969361

2. Program your own applet. See if you can pull from the Gnome 2.22 panel applets source code for time savings.
    don't know how to do that..., so i guess that won't work...

3. Wait for someone else to do it.
    um ok , how long do i wait...?

I guess my point is, you're not alone in not liking FUSA. But this is the way they're going with it.
    yeah , thanks ubuntu devs , you suck in my opinion - always changing things without asking we users if that is really what we want...!!!!
    Last edited by jason.b.c; November 10th, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..

Beans
    Distro

ok i still cannot switch user ...
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..

Beans
    Distro

so no help at all huh...????
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast