Thread: Almost no live-cds work on the laptop in my sig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Almost no live-cds work on the laptop in my sig

The topic says it all. Ubuntu 7.10 was the last one that worked on my laptop. I was able to upgrade to 8.04 but that was the last one i could upgrade too(it's liveCD didn't work). I can't use automatic upgrade to upgrade to 8.10 because i messed up my grub installing a different distro on another partition. So is this a hardware problem or is it a problem with my dvd drive or what. After the first few failed live-cds i thought it was hardware incompatability but, now with almost every live-cd failing to get past the load screen i'm really wondering if this is a hardware incompatibility problem. I always use the 64-bit version of Linux. Is it possible to use the 32-bit version on my 64-bit machine and could only trying to install 64-bit versions be part of the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Almost no live-cds work on the laptop in my sig

Quote Originally Posted by mike941 View Post
    ...i messed up my grub installing a different distro on another partition. So is this a hardware problem or is it a problem with my dvd drive or what...
    If you have managed to install a different distro on another partition then I doubt if it is a hardware problem. I suggest you try another live CD, making sure the md5 sum is correct and that the disk check runs OK. If the 64-bit version still has a problem then you could always try the 32-bit version.

If you want a really quick test of your hardware then just download DSL (50MB) and burn it to a CD. It may not have all the bells and whistles of Ubuntu but it will give you a quick confidence test that your hardware is basically good.

Beans

Are you using the same brand of media? Try cleaning your DvD.

Both have made a difference for me.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Can i try and install the 32-bit versions or would that be incompatible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mike941: AIUI 32-bit runs quite happily on 64-bit machines, but as I only have 32-bit PCs I cannot personally verify this
    Take a look at the following links for more info - and Google is your friend...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/11/26/32bit-vs-64bit-ubuntu-that-is-the-question/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried the text based alternate installation: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/down...rors#alternate

One of my machines doesn't like the Live CD's and will not load any of them. But the alternate CD always works.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com