So last night I could not empty my trash can because the items in the trash could not be permanently deleted by my user account. So I ran the ol

chown -R 'wrong user' /

The command actually ran. Soon, I emptied by trash but rebooted and fall all kinds of weirdness. I figured out what I had done and decided on my path to fix. I rebooted into the system root console from GRUB and did a chown -R root /. All reset... and for the most part my system is operational again.

I still have some issues left. No. 1 I have to manually start my Internet connection everytime I login as a non root user. I can't get to the users-admin or services-admin applets under Gnome.

When I try to run these apps I get an error about setuid, SO I have not totally brought my system back to the same level of life as it was on my original install.

Does anyone out their in the Linux cloud know of a specification by Ubuntu or other group that would

1. Contain the original file system permissions on a vanilla installation?
2. Maybe even have a list of commands on what to run (chown, chgrp, etc.) to get your permissions back to normal?

Thanks,
LinuxLover4444