Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    170
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    I'm writing to ask for reconsideration of an infraction and to ask that my thread be re-opened.

    I oringally started a thread, Denyhosts and Custom Regex, in which I was admittedly snarky. This thread was closed by a staff member citing the following reason:
    Since you are a faculty member and you have permission I am sure your IT department will help you.
    This was obviously an attempt to be snarky on the part of the staff member. While I don't believe this thread should have been closed, I'm willing to accept the infraction I received for rude behavior. I think perhaps it reflects poorly on the forum to have staff being rude and arbitrarily closing threads, but that's your business.

    I created a new thread, Denyhost and Custom Regex, which was immediately closed and for which I received an infraction for Re-posting opened thread. Now, forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but I was not reposting an opened thread, but was in fact reposting a closed thread- a thread which was arbitrarily closed and for which I did not receive a single relevant response.

    I humbly ask that this second infraction be removed and that I be allowed to ask the community for responses to my issue. I would like to believe that my issue with denyhosts is a valid issue of interest to the Ubuntu community. There is nothing offensive, off-topic, or otherwise injurious in my second thread. I believe that I'm being unfairly treated and that this is malicious behavior.

    Please, remove the second infraction and re-open the thread. Additionally, if someone could please explain to the staff member who closed the original thread that trolling threads isn't polite, it would benefit us all, I think.

    Thanks for your consideration.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    170
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    After re-reading this to ensure accuracy, I realized that the staff member who closed my original thread, actually cited the following as the reason:
    Also, I had not idea you were trying to access your campus internet without permission, for that reason I am closing this thread not. This type of activity is not supported on these forums.
    As I described in my next post, that is clearly not the case. As I said, this was a transparent attempt to close a thread in which it was made obvious that this staff member was trolling. I suggest that this is very clear evidence that the thread was inappropriately closed. That makes two threads closed by two staff members. I'm beginning to suspect that they are more interested in serving their own purposes and and sticking together than in doing what is right.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Beans
    5,092
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    Since I was involved in the closure of one of the threads, the other forums council members should make the judgement on this issue. I'd just like to briefly comment:

    (1) I gave an infraction on a post in the original thread because I found it exceedingly rude to bodhi_zazen who was trying to help you. Perhaps you were right that denyhosts can be used in the manner you intended and those trying to help you were unaware, but I expected that you could've worded your point a bit more politely. Personally, the last thing I want to have happen when trying to help someone is for that person to rudely snap back at me and tell me to get lost.

    (2) The second thread was closed, as I remarked in the infraction, because you re-started the thread shortly after it was closed. Given that you made no reference to the original thread, I had no choice but at the time to conclude that you were trying to evade the thread closure and hope nobody would notice. Thanks for bringing this issue to the Resolution Center, the proper process for contesting staff decisions. I think it'd be reasonable for the second infraction to be reversed.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    170
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Since I was involved in the closure of one of the threads, the other forums council members should make the judgement on this issue.
    It is commendable that you have the integrity to recuse yourself. Thank you.

    I'd just like to briefly comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    (1) I gave an infraction on a post in the original thread because I found it exceedingly rude to bodhi_zazen who was trying to help you. Perhaps you were right that denyhosts can be used in the manner you intended and those trying to help you were unaware, but I expected that you could've worded your point a bit more politely. Personally, the last thing I want to have happen when trying to help someone is for that person to rudely snap back at me and tell me to get lost.
    As I admitted, I was rude. I apologize. bhodi_zazen was trolling. Perhaps not with his first post, to which I responded without being rude, but certainly in his following posts. The last thing I want when I'm looking for assistance for a specific issue is for someone to repeatedly clog the thread with irrelevant material. Perhaps it's just me, but if I don't have anything to offer in a thread, I don't participate.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    (2) The second thread was closed, as I remarked in the infraction, because you re-started the thread shortly after it was closed. Given that you made no reference to the original thread, I had no choice but at the time to conclude that you were trying to evade the thread closure and hope nobody would notice. Thanks for bringing this issue to the Resolution Center, the proper process for contesting staff decisions. I think it'd be reasonable for the second infraction to be reversed.
    jdong is exactly right. I did try to evade thread closure. That's exactly what I'm doing now, incidentally. I have an issue that I think someone in the forums can help with and was denied the opportunity to ask for that help for a ridiculous reason. Notice that the thread was not closed because I was rude. Also, I didn't link to the previous thread of the same name, not because I didn't want anyone to notice, but instead because there seemed to be no point in it. If I were trying to go unnoticed I would have chosen a different title for the thread.

    Really, I wonder what message the forum administration is trying to send. "Go ask for help somewhere else" is the message I'm getting. bhodi_zazen may have been trying to helpful initially, but in the end was trolling. I used to consider this my forum, but now I'm getting the message that it's yours. Petty recrimination, trolling, and malicious behavior seems to be the order of the day.

    I'll be honest. Infraction points are irrelevant. It's just a forum. I could create a new account. Whether my thread is re-opened and I get an answer is sort of unimportant, too. Really, I'm pursuing this because I want someone to admit that what was done here by forum staff was wrong.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    170
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    Was it an intentional decision to not allow users to edit posts in this board?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    Yes it is intentional
    This account is not active.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    I will look at this incident
    This account is not active.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    After reading through this I am reminded of the saying ," don't bite the hand that feeds you"

    You had the same attitude to the LUG's that tried to assist you as you had here. Your reactions to assistance offered was rude and inappropriate. Are you even aware that the people here as with the LUG's are volunteers?

    If you wish to gain help on these or any Forums I strongly suggest you review and amend your approach.

    Now with regards to the actions taken against you by the staff? I fully support them .
    This account is not active.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    170
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    Don't bite the hand that feeds me? If I were being fed instead of trolled that might be an appropriate response. Volunteers at the LUG? I am the LUG. Did you read the thread at my LUG? No, I suppose not. Please don't let that stop you from commenting on my attitude, though. I volunteer, too. That doesn't mean I'm always right. I wish I volunteered here so I could be, though.

    Thanks for your thoughtful and measured consideration. I appreciate having any doubt removed regarding to whom this forum belongs. You, apparently.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Denyhosts and Custom Regex

    If you are going to continue with your current aggressive and rude attitude I will review your continued membership of this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by anthro398 View Post
    Don't bite the hand that feeds me? If I were being fed instead of trolled that might be an appropriate response. Volunteers at the LUG? I am the LUG. Did you read the thread at my LUG? No, I suppose not. Please don't let that stop you from commenting on my attitude, though. I volunteer, too. That doesn't mean I'm always right. I wish I volunteered here so I could be, though.

    Thanks for your thoughtful and measured consideration. I appreciate having any doubt removed regarding to whom this forum belongs. You, apparently.
    This account is not active.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •