Thread: Installing Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Installing Ubuntu

I gave Ubuntu 8.10 to my brother, extracted from the .iso and we tried to run the wubi.exe to run the Ubuntu install and it tries to download Ubuntu (690mb or so) when he has all of the files for Ubuntuin the folder.

EDIT: I'm running the file using Windows XP, because I have no blank disks to burn the .iso on. I installed Ubuntu without using a disk this way and it works fine.
    Last edited by DarkMage2303; November 9th, 2008 at 07:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Installing Ubuntu

Use an app like winrar to open the iso and run WUBI from there. Worked for me.
    Never mind.Kept screwing up XFCE.XD
    http://www.crashie.com will crash an IE install.

Beans

extracted from the .iso and we tried to run the wubi.exe to run the Ubuntu install
    ^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I mean open the iso with Winrar, DONT EXTRACT IT. And open wubi.exe from there.
    Never mind.Kept screwing up XFCE.XD
    http://www.crashie.com will crash an IE install.

Beans

Not sure if I am being clear.

I extracted the .ISO file that I downloaded from the Ubuntu Mirror, and got all files from the .ISO. I DIDN'T extract do anything else other then the .ISO and run wubi.exe.

edit: Just saw bennachie's post.

I don't have any disks to burn the .ISO to burn it too. I installed Ubuntu fine doing the way I am doing it now, although now it is trying to redownload Ubuntu when all of the files are present.
    Last edited by DarkMage2303; November 9th, 2008 at 07:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you burn a LiveCD from the iso, all you should have to do is to fire up Windows, then insert the LiveCD in the drive. You should be presented with an Autoplay dialogue offering you the option to have Ubuntu run within Windows (using Wubi, of course). The process worked fine for me, and the hit on disk speed seemed to be pretty marginal. It's definitely a better way to try out Ubuntu than booting from the LiveCD every time. That works, but is rather like wading through treacle. If you don't like Ubuntu (I do, but YMMV) all you have to do is uninstall it in the usual Windows way.