Thread: Partion manager help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Red face Partion manager help?

Hello,

Super Newb. Super being not good. I installed 8.10 dual boot with XP. Worked great, not a glitch so far. I am finding myself use Ubuntu more and more, so I need more space. I shrank my windows partition and I now have a bunch of unallocated space that I want to add to my Unbuntu partition. I tried to use Gparted which came with my distro, but it doesn't seem to want to resize the Unbuntu partition(or any of them for that matter).

Is there another tool to use? Can I do this while running the Unbuntu GUI? Or do I have to do it from the CLI? If I do have to do it from the CLI how do I boot into it? If there are any other posts/threads please feel free to point me there.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Thanks Joe

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Partion manager help?

Quote Originally Posted by joec369 View Post
    Hello,

Super Newb. Super being not good. I installed 8.10 dual boot with XP. Worked great, not a glitch so far. I am finding myself use Ubuntu more and more, so I need more space. I shrank my windows partition and I now have a bunch of unallocated space that I want to add to my Unbuntu partition. I tried to use Gparted which came with my distro, but it doesn't seem to want to resize the Unbuntu partition(or any of them for that matter).

Is there another tool to use? Can I do this while running the Unbuntu GUI? Or do I have to do it from the CLI? If I do have to do it from the CLI how do I boot into it? If there are any other posts/threads please feel free to point me there.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Thanks Joe
    You can't resize the root partition when you use it. This means you have to unmount it. Boot the computer with a live CD (ubuntu installation CD fits the bill) and fire up gparted and give it another go. That way, your root partition will not be mounted and you can expand it to cover the free space.

/mojoman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Or, if you can't find GParted on your Ubuntu installation CD then burn yourself a GParted Live CD from here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Always a good tool to have in your kit bag.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com