Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Because of iTunes, I have songs in folders that are in folders that are in folders

Beans

Because of iTunes, I have songs in folders that are in folders that are in folders

Alright because I used to use iTunes as my player, it has made so many sub folders for songs and cds etc etc.

i dont care what cd the song was associated with or the album artwork etc.

How can I extract all the songs out of all of these sub folders so I dont have to go into 3984 folders to play a song?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Because of iTunes, I have songs in folders that are in folders that are in folder

I think if you have Rhythmbox, Banshee or Amarok you can import the Music folder from your Ipod. Then you can play them from there.

You might need to copy over the folder from your Ipod.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Because of iTunes, I have songs in folders that are in folders that are in folder

Ah, yes, the subject of iTunes being stupid once again arises! Oh, I'd say that you should just go into those folders,
    Ctrl-x(cut) the music out, and paste them into My Music or wherever. Your "Trying to install 32, progress bar gets 75% and seems to shut down comp?" thread has a reply.
    Last edited by linuxluver; October 21st, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
    I got my avatar from the Tux Factory.
    Learning French and Japanese simultaneously! オースティンジョーンズ日本語学習を楽しんで!

Beans

The problem is, these songs arent on my ipod any more.

they are just in a Music folder that has sub folders for every band, then a subfolder for every album, then like 28 more sub folders until you get to the song.

Opening every one, copying and pasting them into a main folder would literally take days and days and days.

Is there any quick, easy way to just search all music file and move them into a particular file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicWonders View Post
    The problem is, these songs arent on my ipod any more.

they are just in a Music folder that has sub folders for every band, then a subfolder for every album, then like 28 more sub folders until you get to the song.

Opening every one, copying and pasting them into a main folder would literally take days and days and days.

Is there any quick, easy way to just search all music file and move them into a particular file?
    Install the soundconverter package with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install soundconverter
    go to applications - sound and video - soundconverter

add all of the files you wish to use

Go to edit - preferences, choose to place and name results as you want them, as well as the output filetype (can be the same as what it is now). Run it.

Note: This seems like using a hatchet instead of a scalpel, but it works and is useful for good, constant format for song names as well as lets you put your songs in better formats.
    Last edited by RequinB4; October 22nd, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

run
    Code:
    find /path/to/parent/music/folder -type f
    this will list every file in /path/to/parent/music/folder and the sub folders of /path/to/parent/music/folder. if you want, you can apply filters after "-type f" like
    Code:
    -name "*.mp3"
    to search just mp3 files.

Then, once you check that the file names outputted are correct, run this:
    Code:
    find /path/to/parent/music/folder -type f | xargs -I {} cp "{}" /path/to/new/existing/folder/
    this will copy all the music the new folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
    I got my avatar from the Tux Factory.
    Learning French and Japanese simultaneously! オースティンジョーンズ日本語学習を楽しんで!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I would recommend using Amarok. Once you have it installed, add the main music folder to your collection (nothing else), and then, if it doesn't do so automatically, go to Tools->Rescan Collection. This will grab all the songs from the all the folders. Then, after this, click the collection tab to see everything that has been added to your collection.

To organize everything, within the collection pane, click on one file, then press CTRL+A to select all the files in your collection. Then right-click, and go to Manage Files->Organize ### Files. In the new window, check the box for "Custom Format" under "File Naming Scheme", and then modify the string to whatever suits your fancy. Going by what you've said, you'll want something like this:
    Code:
    %folder/%albumartist/{%track - }%title.%filetype
    Then, before continuing, make sure that the "Overwrite Destination" box is checked. Once Ready, hit ok, and this should tear through everything and clean it up.

If you're paranoid about this not working, create a copy of your music (providing you have storage and patience), and then do this on that working copy.

I've included a couple screencaps to hopefully help you along.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cyfur01; October 24th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sea_monkey987 View Post
    run
    Code:
    this will list every file in /path/to/parent/music/folder and the sub folders of /path/to/parent/music/folder. if you want, you can apply filters after "-type f" like
    Code:
    -name "*.mp3"
    to search just mp3 files.

Code:
    find /path/to/parent/music/folder -type f | xargs -I {} cp "{}" /path/to/new/existing/folder/
    You're the man. This is how I would do it, too. CLI 4tw!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sea_monkey987 View Post
    run
    Code:
    this will list every file in /path/to/parent/music/folder and the sub folders of /path/to/parent/music/folder.
    So this?...

/media/storage/my music ?

I've attached a screen shot of the master folder properties section...

Code:
    /media/storage/my music -type f | xargs -I {} cp "{}" /media/storage/Master Music/[/CODE]

is that correct?

Run those two codes with my information in them ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast