Thread: Virtual Box - Can't see drives in XP

Beans

Virtual Box - Can't see drives in XP

Hi there

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 and virtualization all works fine, expect if I put a cd in my drive xp doesn't see it.How can I use the drives for ubuntu and xp?

Thanks
    Ciaran

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virtual Box - Can't see drives in XP

virtualbox has I think a gtk version and the regular sun's gui. you can launch it in your accessories. I was playing with intrepid and ran accross some problems because of the way its heading. in anycase, you can launch it in terminal with command VirtualBox case sensitive.

Now for the cd portion:
    Launch virtualbox. In the lower right hand corner, you will see icons. This also has a cd icon. right click on it and unmount an image. when you install sun's virtualbox additions, it stays mounted. the way I described it to you, you can unmount. after this is done, you can have access to your cd drive. I expirienced this as well. If this does not solve your problem, there is another option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
    virtualbox has I think a gtk version and the regular sun's gui. you can launch it in your accessories. I was playing with intrepid and ran accross some problems because of the way its heading. in anycase, you can launch it in terminal with command VirtualBox case sensitive.

Now for the cd portion:
    Launch virtualbox. In the lower right hand corner, you will see icons. This also has a cd icon. right click on it and unmount an image. when you install sun's virtualbox additions, it stays mounted. the way I described it to you, you can unmount. after this is done, you can have access to your cd drive. I expirienced this as well. If this does not solve your problem, there is another option.
    Yea thanks that did it, although I can only see one of my 2 drives, but thats ok I wont be needing the 2 of them working for xp.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Let me know if you have problems with sharing folders or other stuff