Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Compile Pidgin with Plugins from Source in Intrepid Ibex

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to Compile Pidgin with Plugins from Source in Intrepid Ibex

Hardy xfce, at the 'sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin' it asks to install/download 23mb of 100+files that will use 124mb of space.
    Space is an issue for me and maybe for others too so thought i would mention it before they start.
    ~
    Desktop:ASRock P4i65GV/P4 2.8ghz 2gbram
    Laptop:Toshiba L350-PSLD8C Centrino64 dualcore 2ghz 4gbram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I suppose your right, however I guess I don't consider 123Mb a lot of space. If you are going to compile anything I would suggest a least some spare disk space since developmental libraries will always need to be downloaded.

Beans

Should I remove or purge pidgin before attempting this? or does it matter?

Beans
    Distro

This guide installs pidgin within the
    /usr/local/ tree. The normal installation using synaptic, or apt, or using the ubuntu repositories is within the /usr tree. By default, a user's PATH statement looks within /usr/local/bin prior to /usr/bin, so its possible to have 2 installations of the program which do not conflict with each other.

If you wanted to change this behavior to have the compiled version installed within the /usr tree, you would add the --prefix switch to the configure statement (something like):

./configure --prefix=/usr ......

Despite what is written in the guide, I usually install outside the apt system using sudo make install since its a lot easier to upgrade when a new version comes out.

If after installing pidgin, you would like to know which version of pidgin you are using (the version within /usr or within /usr/local) you would type at the command line:

which pidgin

Hopefully that clears up some things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Code:
    tar -jxvf pidgin-2.5.3.tar.bz2
    cd pidgin-2.5.3
    ./configure --enable-mono --enable-cap

****Note something with mono seems to be broken with the 2.5.3 release.  
    ****A workaround is the following 
    ****./configure --enable-cap

make
    What is mono and cap? I don't remember using these before.

Beans
    Distro

Just a few things to know.

From within the source directory, if you run:
    ./configure --help

It will give you the various configuration options that are available. If you are adding --enable options, you are additionally adding features that are not contained in the base install of by default.

--enable-cap=compile with Contact Availability Prediction plugin

--enable-mono=compile with Mono runtime support (experimental) I'm guessing this feature probably isn't needed by most, and in my experience its broken when trying to compile 2.5.3 from source.

You may want to add additional non-default options such as:
    --enable-dot - enable graphs in doxygen via dot

--enable-cyrus-sasl - enable Cryrus SASL support for jabberd

--enable-gevolution - compile with Evolution plugin

Please note that when choosing additional options, that additional dependencies may need to be installed prior to running the configure script. For example, if choosing --enable-dot, both doxygen and graphviz should be installed.

I'll try to clarify more if you have any additional questions.

Beans

Thanks, another quick question. What are the downsides to installing it the make install way instead of the apt way?

Beans
    Distro

In my opinion there are no downsides to installing using the make install way. However here is what someone else would say:
    1. Using the apt system to install software, the apt system will warn you if there are conflicts with your currently installed version if one of the dependent libraries are updated (such as in the future).

What I've found however is although I have been warned, what the system wants to do is suggest an upgrade to the pidgin version currently in the repository, however the version contained in the repository is often an earlier version than what you have installed.

Also if you upgrade pidgin for example (say from 2.5.2 to 2.5.3 and you used checkinstall to install 2.5.2), it will suggest uninstalling all of your plugins you compiled first, and also want to install 2.5.2 from repository. It really knows nothing about the upgrade you want to install and that 2.5.3 is actually a newer version than that contained in repository.

Although there are theoretical arguments for using checkinstall, I personally (unlike the guide would suggest), recommend simply using make install. I have experienced no conflicts are breakages of packages when using this system when upgrading dependencies. Also the plugins compiled against a later version always work for me with the newer version without uninstalling, recompiling, and then reinstalling.

Do what you think is best, however I recommend the make install way (although this would not be the official party line -- the guide was written in compliance with the party line principles, however since this isn't the main tutorial page, I feel I can comment at will).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

RE: no make file in purple-plugin_pack

I had this same problem I typed in the command line

sudo apt-get install pidgin-dev

and then run the configure and make

Beans
    Distro

Yink

What part of the installation are you having problems with? The actual install of pidgin or the purple-plugin-pack?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast