Thread: Curious wminput configuration question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thumbs down Curious wminput configuration question

Hi all,

I've got the wminput package installed, which lets me connect my wiimote to my computer via bluetooth and use it as a mouse and basic entry option. I found the configuration file for the buttons in etc/cwild/wminput/buttons.

This may sound ridiculous, but I'd like to be able to type using the wiimote. I have a shorthand my friends and I made that uses five fingers to express letters (eg "f" uses the ring and pinky fingers, q is pointer, middle and pinky, etc.) To do this on a wiimote, I'd need to chord the buttons (make pressing the A button + B button do a different action from A or B by themselves.) The configuration file I wrote to test out typing (before I ran out of buttons) is below.

#Test buttons

Wiimote.A = KEY_A
    Wiimote.B = KEY_B
    Wiimote.A+Wiimote.B = KEY_X
    Wiimote.Up = KEY_C
    Wiimote.Down = KEY_D
    Wiimote.Left = KEY_E
    Wiimote.Right = KEY_F
    Wiimote.Minus = KEY_G
    Wiimote.Plus = KEY_H
    Wiimote.Home = KEY_I
    Wiimote.1 = KEY_J
    Wiimote.2 = KEY_K

Nunchuk.C = BTN_LEFT
    Nunchuk.Z = BTN_RIGHT

The line "Wiimote.A+Wiimote.B = KEY_X" was an experiment to try to get that to work, which it obviously did not. Once I know this is possible, I'll rearrange the shorthand to be configurable to 6 independent buttons on the wiimote (probably +,-,A,B, up and down)

I'd also like to know if I could set the configuration file to change some type of profile by pressing 1,2 or 1+2. The idea here is that I could enter a text entry mode by pressing 2, and then return to the navigation options (A is left click, B is right click) that are currently so helpful) by hitting 1. I could even program 1+2 to open a profile filled with commands i often use, like opening firefox, skype or a movies folder.)

Anyway, any help you guys can give towards my silly little project would be most appreciated.

As always, many thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Curious wminput configuration question

So I've put a bit more work into the problem, and I think I can make some progress if I can figure out how to map a button on the wiimote to a modifying key like shift, ctrl or alt. That'll be helpful for people using this for compiz, google earth, etc. Any suggestions? I've tried this to no avail (note that I changed nunchuk inputs from their defaults.)

#buttons

Wiimote.A = BTN_LEFT
    Wiimote.B = BTN_RIGHT
    Wiimote.Up = KEY_UP
    Wiimote.Down = KEY_DOWN
    Wiimote.Left = KEY_LEFT
    Wiimote.Right = KEY_RIGHT
    Wiimote.Minus = KEY_BACK
    Wiimote.Plus = KEY_FORWARD
    Wiimote.Home = KEY_HOME
    Wiimote.1 = KEY_R
    Wiimote.2 = KEY_S

Nunchuk.C = KEY_Alt
    Nunchuk.Z = KEY_Control

Once again, thanks to anyone that can help.

Beans
    Distro

For ALT you can use for example:
    Wiimote.A = KEY_LEFTALT
    so then you can hold A and press other keys on wiimote to get ALT + "" combination.

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Well, did you do it? wminput doesn't make it easy to change config on the fly. But you can easily do it in Windows using GlovePIE because it works with scripts.