Thread: Wireless Stopped Working After Battery Died

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wireless Stopped Working After Battery Died

This morning I set my laptop (Gateway 6518GZ running 8.04) on my desk and forgot to plug it in. Ubuntu shut down when the battery was almost dead. When I rebooted the machine, I noticed that the mn-applet wasn't showing a connection to the wireless. On right clicking its icon, I noticed "Enable networking" was checked, but "Enable wireless" was grayed out. Despite rebooting the machine, restarting Xorg, and letting the battery charge, I can't seem to re-enable wireless networking. The wireless card has worked flawless for years and I've never had to modify the drivers. Is there any reason this might have occurred? Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to fix it? I've looked through the preferences but can't find anything that might have caused the problem.

Thanks,
    igfud
    .... .- -- .-. .- -.. .. --- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

Beans

Re: Wireless Stopped Working After Battery Died

maybe the wireless card was shut off in order to save power. is there a key combination on your computer that you can toggle the wireless card on and off with? on my compuer it is fn+F2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Wireless Stopped Working After Battery Died

Oh wow.... I feel stupid. Can't believe I didn't see the wireless light off. I thought it might have something to do with powersave but I was looking in Ubuntu itself. It's Fn + F2 for me as well.

Works great now.

Thanks,
    igfud
    .... .- -- .-. .- -.. .. --- .-. ..- .-.. . ...