Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing packages problems

Beans

installing packages problems

I have been trying to install various programs and drivers with no success so far. I have tried extracting the package and then double clicking everything possible! I have also tried the command line "make" command amongst others but have failed to install anything. The programs I'm trying to install include GStreamer and PlayOnLinux as well as graphic drivers.
    I didn't expect this to be as easy as windows but this seems really difficult.
    I trust I am doing something really dumb - any help greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: installing packages problems

What graphic driver are you trying to load. Have you tried using Hardware Drivers program?
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For the future, please say with greater information what you want to do. We need to know the name of the apps/drivers at very minimum.

Having said that, you can from System/Administration, find both Hardware Drivers, Network, Printing. Is this enough? If I knew what you were installing I could have said more.

Are you online in Intrepid? or Gutsy? Online but not in Ubuntu? Are you online in a LiveCD session?

Let us know, we want to help all we can.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

go to applications then add/remove find what you want mark it click apply and your done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

best and easiest method of installing packages is with synaptic package manager.

go to system > administration > synaptic package manager

use the search button and see if what you need is available from the repos.

playonlinux is available in a .deb file. those are easy...just double-click on the file to install. get it here:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download-ubuntu.html

for the graphics driver (what card is it?)...first place to look is system > administration > hardware drivers

it will show if it has a driver available for you...click on it then click the "enable" button and it should install.

Beans

The graphics driver is an NVIDIA Geforce 5 series which I got from the NVIDIA site.
    I can write here from a second computer running windows. I download everything here and put it on the other computer on which I want to use linux permanently.
    I will follow your advice re the deb packages tomorrow morning and no doubt will be back in touch here.
    Pleased with such a quick response, thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

put below in terminal

sudo su

then

lshw

post the result

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by geomcewan View Post
    The graphics driver is an NVIDIA Geforce 5 series which I got from the NVIDIA site.
    I can write here from a second computer running windows. I download everything here and put it on the other computer on which I want to use linux permanently.
    I will follow your advice re the deb packages tomorrow morning and no doubt will be back in touch here.
    Pleased with such a quick response, thanks again.
    Go to System, Administration, Hardware Drivers, and see if you can enable your Nvidia card from there.

Beans

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm trying to hook up a desktop with a newly installed 8.10. I don't have wifi, I'm working on a broadband connector, but I'd like to at least get dial up now. (the "network" setting under Admin isn't there, so I can't use that). I downloaded ppp 2.4.4 on my laptop in town, but can't figure out how to get it into the desktop. Tried apt-get but it says it's not there, and Syaptic will only work when it's online. Is there another method?

THX

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

try to do a lspci at command-line. you can see your hardware there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast