Thread: Sound not working and neither are the graphic drivers.

Beans

Sound not working and neither are the graphic drivers.

Hmm... I hope this is a right place to post this...

I posted this in an other forum, but I decided to post this here, also, because I'm very eager to get this problem fixed.

And already, sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, I do not speak english as my native language.

So, I installed Ubuntu Intrepid Idex (It's my first linux distribution ever, so I'm an absolute noobie.) I had few problems, but I managed to install it anyway. One of the first things I did, was to install restricted extras-package. After I had installed it, I tried to listen few songs (format was .mp3 if that matters) that I had transferred from my mp3-player. They worked just fine. After I had done some other things, like installed 7-zip and configured some basic settings, I installed the Amarok media player. Then, I started it and tried to listen some songs. And there were no sound at all, not only in Amarok, but also in Rhythmbox, Pidgins beep-noises were gone etc. The problem might've occured before I installed Amarok, I can't say that for sure. So, could anyone tell me, what might be wrong? And also, I tried to remove my soundcard and tried the one integrated into motherboard, but it had no effect.

My other problem, not so annoying (currently) is that, I have no 3d-acceleration drivers. I installed a package, that was supposed to contain those drivers, but apparently it didn't. Because, when I try put Visual effects on, window freezes for a moment and tells afterwards that Desktop effect can't be activated. Actually, I'm not sure if that's the correct translation, but I tried to translate it myself.
    And my Graphic card is GeForce 2 MX. Yes I do know that it's old, but this old computer suddenly stopped working at summer and now I decided to install Ubuntu in it.

Beans

Re: Sound not working and neither are the graphic drivers.

Sorry for the doublepost, but somebody who replied to my post in that forum I mentioned in the startpost of this thread, solved the problem. Apparently it had something to do with that Amarok uses xine, and Gnomes default is GStreamer. I just uninstalled Amarok and everything is working just fine. Now I just need another audio/mediaplayer, because I am not exactly very fond of Rhythmbox, mainly because it's slowness. I used Foobar2k back in Windows, so if anyone in here could recommend such a low usage, GStreamer-using and highly customizable (last.fm's a must : D) plyer, it would be greatly appreciated. PM, if you think that this will be too much of an offtopic.