Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shut down and Restart buttons missing from Logout Menu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Shut down and Restart buttons missing from Logout Menu

After upgrading to Intrepid, a dialogue asked me to upgrade my logout menu so it would also handle instant messages and quick user switching. However in doing so, it made my Shutdown and Restart buttons disappear (Now they're under "System." How can I get them back in the logout menu?

Additional info: The buttons are where they belong in some other accounts on this computer.

Also: A launchpad answer suggested checking that System>Administration>Login Window>Local preference for "active menu" was checked, and yes it is checked.

Thank you for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Shut down and Restart buttons missing from Logout Menu

OK, what seems to be happening is that there is now actually a Log Out button and a Shut Down one... and (don't ask me why) it seems the default button is now the former rather than the latter, as it should be. This is EASILY fixed, not like when this happened in other versions (had to manually fix it or wait for an update).

Right-click your panel, choose +Add To Panel, scroll down till you find "Shut Down..." and drag that to your panel. You can then delete the logout one, though note that the shutdown one no longer has options for switching user (ie: just logging out to the login screen)... for those who find that a problem: keep both buttons; for the rest of you: if you ever need to log out only, do it from the System menu (no big deal really for most of us).

Hope this helps! Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by theWrkncacnter View Post
    After upgrading to Intrepid, a dialogue asked me to upgrade my logout menu so it would also handle instant messages and quick user switching. However in doing so, it made my Shutdown and Restart buttons disappear (Now they're under "System." How can I get them back in the logout menu?

Additional info: The buttons are where they belong in some other accounts on this computer.

Also: A launchpad answer suggested checking that System>Administration>Login Window>Local preference for "active menu" was checked, and yes it is checked.

Thank you for your help!
    On Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop I noticed this problem. I was missing Restart and Shutdown when I selected the logout menu (little green guy running). The only choice offered in the lower part of the dialog box was "Hybernate". To remedy this I went into:
    "System - Administration - Login Window"
    I selected the tab "Local" and selected the item titled:
    "Show Actions Menu".
    That did the trick. I now have "Hibernate", "Shutdown" and "Restart" selections available when I select the Logout item from the panel.
    I did not realize that earlier, while playing around with login settings, I had inadvertently unchecked this item.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    Linux is really for everyone.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your help guys, I haven't posted in a while because it's not that big of a deal, but I would still like to get this fixed. Something fishy is going on.

Most of the time, shutdown restart and hibernate are missing from my logout menu. But sometimes, for no explicable reason, and following no pattern I can see, the missing options ARE there. But most of the time they are missing.

I've checked and double checked but Login Window>Local>Show Actions Menu IS selected. The problem persists.

Any ideas? Solutions? Things I should try?
    Thanks.

Edit: PROOF!
    Last edited by theWrkncacnter; January 22nd, 2009 at 04:06 AM.
    theWrk@Lh-owon-sun:~$ ssh larry@192.168.1.36
    larry@192.168.1.36's password:
    Last login: Fri Jan 16 01:07:10 2009
    larry@zapcon:~$ music123 ~/Music/Abba/"Dancing Queen.mp3"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since we are playing with the two options of shutdown buttons here. How do I get the original Intrepid button back? When I switched to Intrepid and noticed that the shutdown button also had my Pidgin status I didn't liked it so much, but now I think I want to try it but I don't see it on the Add to Panel options. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lunatico View Post
    How do I get the original Intrepid button back?
    Never mind.... it is on the Add to Panel options. It's call User Switcher...

Beans
    Distro

I still need to know how to get the missing options back -- my brother has them on his user account on this computer.
    theWrk@Lh-owon-sun:~$ ssh larry@192.168.1.36
    larry@192.168.1.36's password:
    Last login: Fri Jan 16 01:07:10 2009
    larry@zapcon:~$ music123 ~/Music/Abba/"Dancing Queen.mp3"

Beans

Same problem here now..

Beans

Right click on a panel and open the add menu- scroll down to (Main Menu) add it to a panel,doesn't matter where, click on it go down to (log out,Your name) then drag it to the panel where you want it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I remember on one laptop I recently installed ubuntu and there were all options in one window: logout, switch, shutdown, hybernate, restart.

On my desktop it's separate, maybe there's another applet that holds them all?
    It's turtles all the way down

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast