Thread: Why two Gnome panels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why two Gnome panels

Probably a stupid question, sorry.
    Why does Gnome have two panels?
    I have the two panels at the bottom on my screen
    I wondered if it would be possible to merge the contents of the panel that contains Applications, Places, System and my launch icons with the panel that contains the show-desktop, date, help, shutdown and username.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why two Gnome panels

Right click one of the panels and select "Add to Panel", add as appropriate, then delete the redundant panel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by welshmike View Post
    Probably a stupid question, sorry.
    Why does Gnome have two panels?
    I have the two panels at the bottom on my screen
    I wondered if it would be possible to merge the contents of the panel that contains Applications, Places, System and my launch icons with the panel that contains the show-desktop, date, help, shutdown and username.
    No, its not a stupid question, but I've got a stupid answer- I have no idea why gnome has 2 panels. It doesnt make sense tio me, but heh, I'm not a gnome user.

Yes, it is quite possible (and fairly easy IIRC) to have the contents of the 2 panels merged into 1 panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

howefield,

Thank you for your very promp and helpful answer. That has helped me have more vertical space on my netbook.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Right click one of the panels and select "Add to Panel", add as appropriate, then delete the redundant panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

cascade9,

Thanks.
    What GUI do you use?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    No, its not a stupid question, but I've got a stupid answer- I have no idea why gnome has 2 panels. It doesnt make sense tio me, but heh, I'm not a gnome user.

Yes, it is quite possible (and fairly easy IIRC) to have the contents of the 2 panels merged into 1 panel.

Beans

KDE or Xfce mainly, though I sometimes use/test others (LXDE, fluxbox, iceWM).

*edit I was going to post the same thing as howefield about how to add to a gnome panel (its teh same under Xfce), but I though since I wasnt 100% sure it was better not to do that