Thread: Running Ubuntu in VM Player

Beans

Running Ubuntu in VM Player

Hi,
    I have a recurring problem with running all flavors of linux in a VM. I just now installed VM Player and Ubuntu 10.04 Server. I'm not running Xwindows because I really just want to run it as a server and nothing else.

My problem is this: In text only mode the text box takes up literllay 1.8th of my screen. It's tiny, it's annoying, I can only get a very small number of characters on the screen at once. It's like working in linux on a wyse terminal in 1997 - in short, it sucks.

So is there anything I can do about this? I'd like to get this window to fill my screen if possible. I'd like as many characters on my screen at one time as possible. Is there any way I can change the appearance?

I've googled for maybe an hour with no luck so I'm hoping you can help me.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Running Ubuntu in VM Player

Have you installed the VMware Tools... that makes a big difference.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

I have installed it but I don't think it helps if you're just running the CLI.

In the past installing the tools has allowed me to raise the resolution when running GUI but it doesn't appear to be doing anything for me in CLI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmmm... I don't run Ubuntu as a VM but as host to Player with WinXP as guest. I looked over what is available in CLI under Windows but don't see anything that would permit changing the font size or even the windows.

You might look at the .vmx file to see if there is anything there for a CLI parameter.

Good luck!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.