Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    Hello all,

    clicking on the network manager applet and choosing configure vpn, I come to the vpn window and all of the buttons are grayed out so no action is possible to configure vpn, anyone know why this would be? attached is a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    5
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    I think this means you need to install a VPN client. I had the same problem until I installed vpnc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    91

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    i installed VPNC and it's still grayed out. Which vpn client did you install?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    same for me. I was able to get vpnc to work via console however.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    3

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    You need to install a vpn plug-in for the network-manager. Depending of which vpn clients you use, you can install one or more of the following packages.

    For vpnc
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-vpnc
    For openvpn
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn
    For pptp
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-pptp

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hereford, England
    Beans
    236
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    Many thanks for that, but I am unable to make a connection to a Windows VPN.
    Get the message:

    The VPN Connection failed because there were no valid VPN secrets.

    If I remove stored password, I get prompted to enter a password then the message that the VPN connection failed but with no reason.

    I've tried removing CHAP as an authentication method, as I know this has caused problems in the past.

    Anybody got any ideas?

    Cheers

    T.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    891
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Many thanks for that, but I am unable to make a connection to a Windows VPN.
    Get the message:

    The VPN Connection failed because there were no valid VPN secrets.

    T.

    I am getting the same error, please let me know if you have been able to resolve it.

    Thanks.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    91

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    Quote Originally Posted by zordid View Post
    You need to install a vpn plug-in for the network-manager. Depending of which vpn clients you use, you can install one or more of the following packages.

    For vpnc
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-vpnc
    For openvpn
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn
    For pptp
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-pptp
    that worked, thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    24

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    Quote Originally Posted by legolas_w View Post
    I am getting the same error, please let me know if you have been able to resolve it.

    Thanks.
    Me too, now I'm writing the vpn password always when I want to connect and I don't store it in the keyring. But this is very bad solution....

  10. #10

    Re: VPN configuration in 8.10 grayed out.

    This raises a point that is setting me off more and more as I constantly run across this: if you're going to grey out something in the ui, *tell me why the F you did it*! Especially something as basic as "add" or "ok"! Why even *have* the vpn tab in the ui if it's not really installed? (though it is nice to have all the options shown, as long as it tells you what you need to do to actually use them).

    OK, I'm *much* better now...

    And thanks for the info...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •