Thread: network-admin gone from 8.10 Intrepid Ibex... how do I connect to wpa router?

network-admin gone from 8.10 Intrepid Ibex... how do I connect to wpa router?

So I did a fresh install (not an upgrade) of 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. I need to connect to my WPA wireless router. I've installed the driver through ndisgtk, and it seems to work fine. However, network-admin was not installed in 8.10! That's what I had been using on 8.04.1, and it had worked fine. So I installed it from Synaptic--but when I ran it, I discovered that the configuration window is missing the WPA option. It only has WEP available. So, I uninstalled network-admin to get my system back to the way it was.

Next I tried nm-applet (which I have never used before). But that just gave me weird error messages in terminal whenever I tried to run it, so I deleted that, too.

I need to connect to a WPA wireless router. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: network-admin gone from 8.10 Intrepid Ibex... how do I connect to wpa router?

Just installed 8.10 and can't find "network-admin" to set up wlan0. iwconfig shows my my device properly. I tried the following command to try to get it going by hand but am not sure about the WEP code I used "enc" is that right?

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "HOMENET" channel 11 mode Managed enc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx commit

Does this look right? What else can I do?

Beans

Re: network-admin gone from 8.10 Intrepid Ibex... how do I connect to wpa router?

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 and there doesn't seem to be any network-admin. Any ideas on how to get network-admin back into Ubuntu 8.10, and to get it working?

Where did it go, and why isn't network-admin in Ubuntu 8.10? How do you configure the network adapters with a GUI in Ubuntu 8.10 without network-admin working?

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the network-admin missing in Ubuntu 8.10? How do I install it, and/or get it working?

Beans

I was just having the same problem myself.
    If you install the package gnome-network-admin, that should be it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wink Re: network-admin gone from 8.10 Intrepid Ibex... how do I connect to wpa router?

u can try this sudo apt-get install gnome-network-admin in your root terminal....

it's working on my notebook after upgrade 8.04 to 8.10...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just one genuine question: If 8.04 was working, why did you decide you needed 8.10? Was there a particular package or setup you were keen on using??