Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

Beans

Re: WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

hello, sorry to bother (i just want to know)

So, I have a static internal dhcp address wich is tied to my mac address.

I logged into my router configuration webpage, and did it from there.

Is it the same thing you guys are doing here???

And no matter what os I use it has the same address because is tied (duh) to the hardware.
    Thnx!!

well ive honestly tried thew pidgin irc but nobody ever replies to me.

so I come here to haunt people

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    If you have ever set a static IP address in windows -- its similar. You always need to manually specify the dns servers. If you choose dhcp, the dhcp passes this information during the authentication process. That is the way it works.
    Ok. Can't exactly remember I put dns servers on windows. Would It be a stupid idea to put my own router as a dns entry? My router probably connects via dhcp, as I can see both dns server entries in my router status window.
    Last edited by whoop; November 27th, 2008 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gigaferz View Post
    hello, sorry to bother (i just want to know)

So, I have a static internal dhcp address wich is tied to my mac address.

I logged into my router configuration webpage, and did it from there.

Is it the same thing you guys are doing here???

And no matter what os I use it has the same address because is tied (duh) to the hardware.
    Thnx!!

well ive honestly tried thew pidgin irc but nobody ever replies to me.

so I come here to haunt people
    I'm not sure if a understand you but this thread is about getting ubuntu 8.10 have a static internal ip address (f.e. 192.168.1.45). What you're talking about is maybe letting the router give you a (fixed) ip address based on your machines mac address? if that is what you mean than we are trying to get similar results but from the client side not the router side. If I understand you correctly it is actually a cool router feature, but my router does not seem to support it.

Beans

Thanks for this post. I have one question. Can you post the steps needed to reinstall the gnome network manager in case I want to go back to it?

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by singingstars View Post
    Also, it is said that adding a new config in networkmanager (instead of editing the system default 'Auto eth0' stuff) and assign the right MAC address (and the static ip) will fix it, every thing's fine even after reboot, and you can still use that gnome-networkmanager.
    Works for me, at least.
    this worked perfectly for me. thanks!

Beans

This worked.

I love you.

Beans

Thank you indeed. Finally I know where those settings are stored. Hate using GUI for such a musthave feature as Inet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PunkLV View Post
    Thank you indeed. Finally I know where those settings are stored. Hate using GUI for such a musthave feature as Inet.
    I'm inclined to agree, until I started using my wifi, and needed the soft config. I had to remove my nicely configured interfaces file to get GNM working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Two pieces of info here:
    1) Some routers (or at least the firmware in them) do support the "static IP address" based on a MAC address (Tomato firmware for the Linksys does for one). Not quite the original request, but it does accomplish the static IP feature. Sometimes it is easier to step around the bug than fight with the silly thing

2) As for the DNS issue with a static address, most routers support "DNS forwarding" - if you enter the address of the LAN side of the router into the DNS address on your machine, the router will forward the DNS requests to the appropriate DNS servers (which it gets on the WAN side from your ISP). I had a problem with a SMC router a while back that would only forward the requests if DHCP (on the LAN side) was enabled (even if you didn't use it), but a firmware upgrade from SMC fixed that issue.

mikey
    You can never have too many gadgets or too much disk space
    The instructions said Windows NT or better, so I installed Ubuntu Linux !!

mikey (aka mr.gadget2)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I ended up setting up a bind server on my network, and forward NXs to my ISP servers. it was my first serious forray into linux. I recall it quite fondly.

that way I get internal + external DNS. I just configure my DHCP server to pass out the bind server address.

I've never seen a router that won't handle a correctly setup static ip configuration. but then again I've never played with the really cheap ones. if your looking for DHCP to pass out the same addr every time though, you usually need decent kit. I used to buy netgear, but now it's all cisco.

have fun
    Last edited by doas777; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:20 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast