Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

Beans

Lightbulb WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

Manual workaround for setting static IP address bug in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

There seems to be a known bug with the Gnome Network Manager included with the Ubuntu 8.10 release that resets any static ip address settings that are set manually when the system is rebooted reverting back to a DHCP setup. These steps will remove the Gnome Network Manager and help you manually setup the required files for your static network configuration.

Step 1 – Remove the Gnome Network Manager: You need to complete this step first because if left installed this application will overwrite any changes you make to your configuration when the system is rebooted. This is apparently where the bug is located.
    To remove the Gnome Network Manager issue the following command in the terminal:
    sudo update-rc.d –f NetworkManager remove
    This will disable and remove the Gnome Network Manager application. Now you will have to edit your configuration manually.

RESTART SYSTEM
    Step 2 – Manual configuration of your network interface: In this step you will manually configure your network interface by editing the following two files using your preferred text editor(nano gedit vi). For the purpose of this example I am using the nano editor.

Step 2.1 – Manually configure your network interface file: You can edit the appropriate file by entering the following command into the terminal:
    sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    Once your prefered editor opens the file you want to enter the following information (changing your addresses where necessary):
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet static
    address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter your ip here)
    netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter gateway ip here)
    Be sure to save your changes.

Step 2.2 – Manually configure your dns configuration file: You can edit the appropriate file by entering the following command into the terminal:
    sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
    Once your prefered editor opens the file you want to enter the following information (changing your addresses where necessary):
    # Generated by NetworkManager
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter your dns server ip)
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter your alt dns server ip)
    Be sure to save your changes.

Step 2.3 – Manually restart your network interface with the new settings: Enter the following command in the terminal:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    This should return a result that looks like the following:
    *Reconfiguring network interfaces… [OK]
    At this point in your terminal you should be able to run the ifconfig command and the results should reflect your new settings. If the addressing is correct you should have full network access, even after a system restart.

Haven't tried reinstalling the Network Manger after doing these steps to see if it still works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

thanks a lot! what a great how-to! I really need this static-IP only setup. maybe this won't gonna work for those who need a wireless network connection. may be this solution would help, is installing wicd http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php, if you need both wired and wireless connection.
    once again, thanks...you rocks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Also, it is said that adding a new config in networkmanager (instead of editing the system default 'Auto eth0' stuff) and assign the right MAC address (and the static ip) will fix it, every thing's fine even after reboot, and you can still use that gnome-networkmanager.
    Works for me, at least.

Beans

cupcrazy1027 has a great work around. But singingstars is also right and the solution is a bit easier (for Linux) to add new configuration instead of removing existing components of Ubuntu.

This blog post offers two solutions one with the command line and the other with the network manager and offers images of the process.

http://linhost.info/2008/11/how-to-s...on-ubuntu-810/

The first solution worked for me, second has mixed results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been looking for this for weeks! Many thanks, works as advertised (the linhost solution mentioned by dataninja didn't).

Two notes for fellow travellers:

The Step 1 instruction is given as
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d –f NetworkManager remove
    but should be
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f NetworkManager remove
    ie. a minus not a long hyphen before the f (I routinely copy and paste from forum code blocks, and it don't work with the long hyphen!)

Also, before you restart your system copy, paste and save the rest of the instructions into a document - because after you restart you won't have internet access! oops!

pannerrammer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dataninja View Post
    cupcrazy1027 has a great work around. But singingstars is also right and the solution is a bit easier (for Linux) to add new configuration instead of removing existing components of Ubuntu.

This blog post offers two solutions one with the command line and the other with the network manager and offers images of the process.

http://linhost.info/2008/11/how-to-s...on-ubuntu-810/

The first solution worked for me, second has mixed results.
    Thanks for the pointer. Both of the linhost blog solutions worked for me. I initially did the "add new configuration" approach, but realized that didn't take effect until login and the machine is an NFS server among other things (so I want the network up right after reboot). I then edited the interfaces file, and that appears to work fine.

This is my first Ubuntu release (after 10+ years of Redhat and Fedora), and it's somewhat disconcerting to have a bug/gap of this size in a release.

Beans

You Rock Worked Perfect!

Beans

Worked for me!
    remove the s***ty Network Manager..
    Install wicd
    setup the IP, DNS, etc.
    reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OK, I tried this workaround on a test machine and it is the only thing that seems to work for me (cheers). The methods described on http://linhost.info/2008/11/how-to-s...on-ubuntu-810/ both didn't work for me.
    I do have some question I hope can be answered:

1: As this is a workaround for a bug in (probably) NetworkManager is this bug being worked on? is there a status? Can it be viewed on launchpad or something?

2: The workaround only seems to work if I write down my dns servers in /etc/resolv.conf. If I remove them I can't connect anymore. My provider advises it's users not to "hard code" dns servers but to fetch them automatically. This works in dhcp and my router fetches them fine. So is there a method to get this workaround working without adding fixes dns server enties to /etc/resolv.conf?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you have ever set a static IP address in windows -- its similar. You always need to manually specify the dns servers. If you choose dhcp, the dhcp passes this information during the authentication process. That is the way it works.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast