Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy won't shutdown completely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Cool Hardy won't shutdown completely

I have installed Hardy on two machines at home and it works great. However i just installed it on my dell dimension 9200 at work, and it won't shutdown properly. the progress bar progresses all the way and then just stays there. so all i see on my screen is the ubuntu logo with an empty progress bar until i do a hard shutdown. this happens every time.

Beans

Re: Hardy won't shutdown completely

When you shutdown, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to display the shutdown messages, then write down the the last 3 or 4 lines that are displayed before the shutdown script hangs, and put them up in your next post.

For the moment instead of hard shutting down and potentially causing hard-drive damage, use the Magic SysRq keys to shutdown your PC safely.
    Code:
    Alt+Printscreen+R
    Alt+Printscreen+E
    Alt+Printscreen+I
    Alt+Printscreen+S
    Alt+Printscreen+U
    Alt+Printscreen+O
    Wait 2 seconds for each command to run and exit.

For info about the Magic SysRq functions, read here.

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Actually, you only need to press the keys in this order:

[hold alt the whole time]
    sys-req
    R
    E
    I
    S
    U
    (B or O) B will reboot, O will shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i just discovered that this problem only occurs when i hit restart instead of shutdown.

when i press ctrl-alt-f1, it prints a few lines about NetworkManager and then the screen goes back to the ubuntu logo and blank progress bar.

i couldn't get that keyboard shortcut combination to work

unless someone can tell me how to fix this, i might just ignore it and only use the shutdown button. i don't want to keep doing hard shutdowns while i try different things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by d2843 View Post
    i just discovered that this problem only occurs when i hit restart instead of shutdown.

when i press ctrl-alt-f1, it prints a few lines about NetworkManager and then the screen goes back to the ubuntu logo and blank progress bar.
    Did you ever resolve this problem?

I've been running Hardy for quite sometime with nary a problem. Then I installed it on a Dell Optiplex 745 for a friend, copied their Home directory files from another computer, and sure enough, I've run into the same problem.
    There are no proprietary drivers and in all other respects, the computer runs great.

Chuck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by clwhitt View Post
    Did you ever resolve this problem?
    no, i just stopped using restart.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by d2843 View Post
    no, i just stopped using restart.
    A tip of the hat to mbeach for the link that led me to putting reboot=b in my /boot/grub/menu.lst file. This has done the trick (at least it has rebooted effortlessly for the last 5 reboots).

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=9014ca3c-7e7c-444e-bbf3-556b276cfb02 ro quiet reboot=b splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    quiet

A couple of questions: What does "reboot=b" do, and am I going to have to do this each time the kernel is updated?

Thanks again mbeach!

Chuck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I believe if you add the reboot=b to the section of grub which is used for defaults (under the "default kernel options" under the "BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"), you should be ok. What I'm not sure of though is if future kernels will require it.

don't hold me to the following, but I belive the reboot=b has something to do with telling the bios to handle/control the restart instead of the os or other hardware.

no problem, had the exact same issue, and had found the solution in these forums not so long ago.

Beans

Does your hard drive shut down before you get the messages about NetworkManager?

When I do a shutdown I get the Ubuntu screen and then my hard drive shuts down before I get the messages about NetworkManager. I think this is the problem but I don't know how to stop the hard drive from shutting down prematurely. I think the shutdown cannot access the hard drive and gives the NetworkManager messages.

I have spent hours searching and reading and tried some of the fixes without any luck.

In all my reading I have seen no mention of the hard drive shutting down.

Thanks,
    Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast