Thread: Cannot connect with XDMCP

Beans

Cannot connect with XDMCP

Hello,

I recently installed kubuntu 8.10 and I find it really nice and usable. The only small problem is that I cannot configure a wired network card with knetworkmanager because I need static ip, but I work just fine with:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

I have to computers PC1 and PC2.

PC1 has one wireless card (ath0) which connect it to internet and another card (eth0) which I use to connect to another linux box PC2 with a crossover ethernet cable. (This one has static IP as explained above).

I used always XDMCP to connect from PC2 to my kubuntu on PC1 and works just fine. But some days ago, I installed kubuntu 8.10 and XDMCP does not work anymore.

I edited as it was before (except for kde3 instead of kde4)
    /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc

[XDMCP]

enable=True

and
    /etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess

I can see the machine in the chooser of PC2 but if I try to connect to it I just get a black screen with a mouse pointer with a X sign shape.

Any clue or advise??

Thanks a lot in advance.

Beans

Re: Cannot connect with XDMCP

Please, any advise?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Cannot connect with XDMCP

same problem with ubuntu/Gnome 8.10.

Cannot connect using remote login or Xnest, just a black window with the X cursor.

Beans

Re: Cannot connect with XDMCP

I had the same problem (Xubuntu to Ubuntu, both 8.10). On both machines, XDMCP was enabled, but still no connection. Then just for fun, I decided to check if I had enabled the firewall.
    Code:
    sudo ufw status
    Nope. The firewall wasn't running. So I decided to run Firestarter. After installing with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firestarter
    I set a policy to enable incoming connections on port 177.

Now XDMCP works again, although it seems a bit slower. I still cannot start a nested X-session with gdmflexiserver.
    Code:
    gdmflixiserver -n
    returns "Cannot start new display. Perhaps the X server is not configured correctly," or something similar.
    UPDATE: solved gdmflexiserver problem by installing Xnest, Apparently it is not installed by default. (sudo apt-get install xnest)
    Last edited by bford16; November 15th, 2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: found partial solution