Thread: 8.10 encrypted lvm

Beans

Question 8.10 encrypted lvm

Hello,

i have tried to install ubuntu 8.10 on an encrypted lvm using the alternate cd, it works so far BUT i have noticed that the installer does not fill the partitions with random data actually i am not sure about that, but from my experience with debian and encrypted lvm, the filling process with random data on 80 gb partition lasts at least 60-90 mins, and ubuntu does not even show that its being filled with random data, it somehow jumps over this step! After the installation process and the required reboot, when booting it requires the encryption password (as expected) and does not boot without it - so it looks as it is encrypted...

my question is: how "real" is the encryption of 8.10, does the installer encrypt at all, or its just faked one, the encryption process looks very different from debian's one. Can anybody please explain this to me

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: 8.10 encrypted lvm

Quote Originally Posted by blocker View Post
    Hello,

i have tried to install ubuntu 8.10 on an encrypted lvm using the alternate cd, it works so far BUT i have noticed that the installer does not fill the partitions with random data actually i am not sure about that, but from my experience with debian and encrypted lvm, the filling process with random data on 80 gb partition lasts at least 60-90 mins, and ubuntu does not even show that its being filled with random data, it somehow jumps over this step! After the installation process and the required reboot, when booting it requires the encryption password (as expected) and does not boot without it - so it looks as it is encrypted...

my question is: how "real" is the encryption of 8.10, does the installer encrypt at all, or its just faked one, the encryption process looks very different from debian's one. Can anybody please explain this to me

Thanks!
    The data is quite encrypted. Boot a live CD an try to mount the partition.

Ubuntu uses LUKS, if that helps.

I am not sure if the installer writes random data to the drive or not, and if so, what kind of protocol is used exactly. Again, if you mount the partition you should have your answer in short order.

Writing random data to the drive is not strictly necessary, it just helps "hide" the encrypted data. Even if you know where the data is, you still need to decrypt it

If you prefer you can manually write random data to your hard drive, then install.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: 8.10 encrypted lvm

the install writes random data if you say to format the drive.