Thread: Help with fstab mounting cifs

Beans

Help with fstab mounting cifs

I need help with fstab mounting some windows shares. I previously wrote a bash script that took care of this easy but i wanted to put it in the fstab so i don't have to run the script all the time. The problem comes with a few of the shares have spaces in the name. In the bash script i just put quotes around the name and it worked no problem. Now in the fstab i have something like:

//192.168.1.101/"High Def Movies" /mnt/HighDefMovies cifs iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/sauce/Documents/Random/.smbcredentials,uid=1000 0 0

The command line returns:

[mntent]: line 17 in /etc/fstab is bad

I don't understand why it works in a bash script but not in the fstab. It also works for changing directory's on the command line.

Any help would be great, i have been at this for a few hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans

Re: Help with fstab mounting cifs

Thanks, i actually saw your thread earlier and did not scroll down far enough to find the part about mounting with spaces. Just for my own knowledge is the \040 the ASCII value for a space or?

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Help with fstab mounting cifs

Quote Originally Posted by sauce345 View Post
    Thanks, i actually saw your thread earlier and did not scroll down far enough to find the part about mounting with spaces. Just for my own knowledge is the \040 the ASCII value for a space or?

Thanks again
    Yes it is the octal for space in ascii. More information here: http://wls.wwco.com/ref/ascii.html