Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LiveCD with Repair Options

Beans

Re: LiveCD with Repair Options

And please cover the most likely case:

That you have to reinstall your dual-boot windows, which will remove grub and thus makes Ubuntu inaccessible.

I have a paper under my printer that describes the commands to restore grub (find /boot/grub/stage1, root (hd0,1), setup (hd0) etc.) but that should be done rather on the software side...
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by amano View Post
    And please cover the most likely case:

That you have to reinstall your dual-boot windows, which will remove grub and thus makes Ubuntu inaccessible.

I have a paper under my printer that describes the commands to restore grub (find /boot/grub/stage1, root (hd0,1), setup (hd0) etc.) but that should be done rather on the software side...
    All you would have to do is reinstall GRUB after Windows is installed and that problem is fixed (and that is exactly what this thread is proposing: a simple way to restore GRUB from LiveCD). GRUB automatically adds Windows partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, a simple way to reinstall GRUB - finding all the installed operating systems - would be good.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Yes, a simple way to reinstall GRUB - finding all the installed operating systems - would be good.
    I would love just to get ubuntu's grub to find all my other installs , in many years of using Ubuntu this has never worked , I always backup my menu.list to a pendrive before I let ubuntu install grub so I can edit whatever it writes so I can access the rest of my installs .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheForkOfJustice View Post
    Yeah, it kind of is:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/9463/
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/15402/

and there are likely others that suggest a way to fix common OS problems on the liveCD.
    voted all of them
    "Computers are like air conditioners, when you open WINDOW$ they stop working."
    Όσο ζώ μαθαίνω ...
    If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.
    Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: LiveCD with Repair Options

Move all the "junk" screensavers to an after install "extra_screensavers.deb" & there would be MORE than enough room

BTW--voted all of them.....
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I would love just to get ubuntu's grub to find all my other installs , in many years of using Ubuntu this has never worked , I always backup my menu.list to a pendrive before I let ubuntu install grub so I can edit whatever it writes so I can access the rest of my installs .
    +1 Yes, I often do it that way or just install another Ubuntu in a minimally sized partition then edit menu.lst using the Grub configfile to point to the other Uuntu menu.lst's.

I'm sure there must be a way to install GRUB without the rest of the distro but I haven't found one yet that works properly. I thought I was missing something but perhaps not.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

and a permissions restorer for system critical files..

i have borked upp my system by doing a sudo chmod 0 * in a dir not in the /usr or /bin tree that borked upp things in those trees

so in the light of how esay it is to bork upp a linux system by misstake..

so a good repeir cd to repair functions to the most common stuff would bo realy gold worth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123