Thread: High CPU w/ Flash after Upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

High CPU w/ Flash after Upgrade

After the upgrade to Ibex I'm getting abnormally high cpu usage when viewing pages with a lot of flash or flash videos. Specifically CNN.com's videos cause problems.

If I look at top Xorg and firefox both jump up and take about 50% of the cpu each. Youtube doesn't make the cpu max out, but it is generally higher than before the upgrade.

Other movies such as quicktime in totem don't seem to cause any problems.

I'm using the flashplugin-nonfree, visual effects are on the "normal" setting.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly.

Beans

Re: High CPU w/ Flash after Upgrade

I have similar issue. What is interesting is that I have Ubuntu 7.04 with Firefox 2.3 and Flash 9. Running Flash movies on that system only consumes 25%-50% CPU. However, system with 8.10 + Firefox 3 + Flash 9 (or Flash 10) consumes 100% CPU when Flash movies are being played. There gotta be an issue with Firefox 3. However, I did not find any good reference on how Firefox 3 could be de-installed from 8.10 system and replaced by Firefox 2.3

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated, since, Flash proliferated Internet pretty vastly. It sucks to see how great OS starts crawling because of Flash and Firefox.

Thanks,

Alek

Beans

I have the same issue... anybody have any ideas for fixes? (Outside of uninstalling FF3)

Beans

I installed package Compiz Fusion Icon, run it and switch from Compiz to Metacity ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by azumi View Post
    I installed package Compiz Fusion Icon, run it and switch from Compiz to Metacity ...
    Did it help?

Beans

Same issue here, also with Epiphany...
    I must have the slowest running OS on the planet for web browsing.