Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual windows and ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Dual windows and ubuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Unfortunately, you are definitely missing your Vista boot files. Considering that you just recently installed Ubuntu and Vista, I think your best bet may be just to wipe the HDD clean, repartition so that Vista gets the first primary partition on the drive (make sure it's not logical), create two more partitions for Ubuntu, reinstall Vista, and after that reinstall Ubuntu. If you really don't want to do that, here is a tutorial for how to boot Vista from a logical partition, and it's not exactly trivial:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=813628

So it's up to you, but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for your help anyway. .i'm going to go ahead try to boot it from my logical drive, hopefully i won't have to reinstall everything. .

11/15
    Didn't work, I went to hermans post as suggested in the link. I changed my boot flag to my ntfs as suggested, added the window boot.ini, ntldr, NTDETECT.COM to my windows C: drive, used GRUB's hide and unhide commands and changed my menu.lst to what herman suggested without the makeactive+ part. . .

My drive became unreadable, so nothing would load, only the boot screen with the options which didn't work. . .
    Last edited by XxBlissXx; November 15th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: Dual windows and ubuntu 8.04

[SOLVED] Yah, ok first of all I did have to reinstall both windows and ubuntu but other than that it was a simple fix. My problem was that windows made itself the logical partition even if it was the first and only system installed, even when I selected for it to be primary. Anyway I'll make it quick, I cleared my drive, reinstalled windows first and as primary( which it still made itself logical) then I reinstalled ubuntu on the second half of my drive. Now when it was time for me to make my partitions in ubuntu's install prog. all I did was clicked on my windows partition (ntfs) then clicked edit then selected ntfs for the first option and then /windows for the second clicked ok then made my ext3 partition as logical and made my swap and thats it!! It finished the install and when it booted up there was my option to load windows. Now heres what my paritions look like as appose to before when windows was logical

I guess that changed it over because even when I was installing ubuntu gparted was still showing windows as a logical partition. . .Anyway, yay now I can game AND have a system that works for everything else!!
    Last edited by XxBlissXx; November 15th, 2008 at 12:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12