Thread: Portable VLC ?

Beans

Portable VLC ?

Hello!

I use VLC 0.86 on ubuntu 8.10 because I need it to read some streams that don't work with 0.94. So I want to use 0.94 with the 0.86 installed. As I can't install both I want to use a "portable" version of VLC 0.94 (because it has a video sharpening option) without installing it.

I don't want to compile the whole thing because it's really complicated, you need a lot of heavy dependancies like wxwidgets, and so on.

So if someone knows how to do it?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Portable VLC ?

You could use the Windows version of the newest release with Wine. I don't know if VLC works with Wine, but this would be a way of running two different versions of the same application without messing your Ubuntu installation.

Beans

Hello!

Thank you for your answer but neither 0.86 or 0.94 works correctly on wine, video is very laggy and sound too.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

why not run xp inside virtual box and run portable vlc inside xp

then add the guest additions and share some directorys between ubuntu and xp and view your data like this

works for me and has done for some time
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

I already have vista on dual boot. My goal is to be almost independant from windows. But I know that VLC can be run as portable (you just do "./configure" then "make" and not "make install") then you can use VLC from the directory where it has been compiled. The problem is that to compile it you need to install a lots of thing which I will never use after that (I try to keep my system as light as possible). So if someone has a compiled version not in deb package I would be happy to get it
    Last edited by dementic; November 8th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.