Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install FreeNX

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install FreeNX

I have made a little more progress I've discovered that it's one particular XP machine that is having problems connecting.

I have installed the client on other windows based computers in my office and they connect fine. My computer on the other hand is intermitent. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, and it never does 2 times in a row. Once I connect successfully it usually take me another 3-4 failed attempts then during some magical process I can terminate an existing session and click on the 'New' button and it will connect.

I don't have the windows firewall running, just plain weird?!?
    Last edited by tkman; April 7th, 2006 at 08:12 PM.

Beans

Greetings!

Real noob here ... but, I just wanted to report that I have been able to get FreeNX working on Dapper 6 and WOW! is it fast compared to VNC!!!

I had just a bit of trouble finding the correct repository (the one listed in the first post of this thread generated "403 - forbidden" errors on attempted download) but, the one that finally worked for me (and I used Synaptic) was:

deb http://free.linux.hp.com/~brett/seveas/freenx/ breezy-seveas freenx

In addition to this thread, I found the following wiki entry helpful: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/newreply...ote=1&p=894298

Finally, I downloaded the NX Client for Windows from nomachine.com and it works great on my XP clients (both Pro and Home versions)... When setting this up I selected the recommended "NoMachine" setting when prompted.

Hope this info is helpful to someone!

Mark

Beans
    Hidden!

I am having trouble getting this working...
    I folowed the tutorial and used the nomachine key, set up the windows client to connect to port 22 with the setting under desktop as os type-unix gnome. But when I try to connect it immediatly gives me 'cannot start the local X server' It looks like it might have flashed up one other message, but I coudn't read it...

I can ssh into the box with putty just fine, and vnc works (but loading my 60mb desktop is slow even with a 10mbs lan connection), but I can't make freenx do anything...

Does the fact that I am running a twinview (2 monitors, one has the desktop on it and the other is just free space to put windows) setup be messing with it?

Where do I find the logs to see what is hapening?

Thanks!

btw, if you are having trouble getting the files, use deb http://free.linux.hp.com/~brett/seveas/freenx/ breezy-seveas freenx
    works great

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

is there any posibility to connect to an existing session also known 'console' mode from Winblows world???
    Notebook Compaq Evo N610c
    14" LCD, Pentium 4 mobile 1.8GHz * 1GB RAM * 80GB HDD * Radeon mobile 7500 32MB dedicated vRAM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...shrack&t=37766

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I can't get FreeNX to work. It keeps giving me this error:

NX> 105 NX> 1004 Error: nxagent failed to start with: NXAGENT: Fatal IO error on display "nx/nx,options=/home/roeland/.nx/C-blacktower-1000-0FA2248F87D24B8F9E8B01BE133F8671/options:1000".

There is no other error in my logs, I'm trying to run a gnome session, (COMMAND_START_GNOME=gnome-session)

I've tried googline for this and the only solution I noticed was that flac wasn't installted. I don't know what it's got to do with it, but on both machines I've installed the flac package and all the gstreamer-plugins.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rhand; July 7th, 2006 at 01:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The nxClient can be invoked from:-

/usr/NX/bin/nxclient &

also.

Beans

I have a couple of questions.

I am constantly getting an error when I try to connect. The Authentication goes through fine and then it times out.

The error mentions an unrecognised "1" and it says it is unable to start the server but when I log onto machine and check it, the server is running.

The version I installed from the repo that the howto is referring to is 1.4 and my client is a Windows version 2.0.

Could that be the problem? I checked on the website and there is a freenx server version 2 deb package.

Could it be that the server is not recognising one of the parameters and so not starting up the session?

Has anyone tried installing the deb from the freenx website?

Beans

Does this work for ubuntu/ppc? I have the respository and see FreeNX, but it depends on nxagent and libs which aren't in the repository for me (in aptitude FreeNX is red and lists the dependencies as unavailable).

Beans

Freenx in Dapper has serious problems. Firstly, the version installed via the additional repo according to this howto is old. Therefore, when you use the latest Windows client from nomachine (I have searched the internet and been unable to find a download of the older version), there is an incompatibility.

So, ok, try downloading the debs from nomachine and installing them directly. On their site, it says it runs with Ubuntu 6 - wrong. There is a dependency that cannot be met. Again, I have searched the internet for this file to meet the dependency - no luck. I'm sorry, I can't give exact names of the files now because I'm not at the machine.

I have been screwing around with this for 2 full days. It shouldn't be this hard. I admit I am no expert - but this is very very frustrating. Can someone that actually knows what they are doing please please do a proper howto for installing the latest version from nomachine.

Beans

I have been running nx without a problem so far.
    I noticed that if I connect to the server running nxclient under XGL/compiz session then all the icons are not displayed.

Is there any way to fix it. Now I have to disable XGL to run nxclient.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast