Thread: Please help: Cannot connect (or even see) Vista PC on network from Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Please help: Cannot connect (or even see) Vista PC on network from Ubuntu 8.10

I have searched the forums but I'm still confused and am frustrated. This should be a common question but it doesn't appear to be for some reason.

I have a Windows Vista PC in the basement of my house that is connected via ethernet to the router (which is connected to cable broadband modem).

Upstairs my wife's laptop is running Ubuntu 8.10 Ibex.

When I go to Places > Network I do see a 'Windows Network' and then after double-clicking on that I see 'WORKGROUP' and then after double-clicking on that I see 'UBUNTU-LAPTOP' which is the laptop I'm using (so I'd be going in circles!). Nowhere do I ever see the Vista PC.

Please help! My wife is really wanting to go back to Windows on her laptop because of this, and I want to avoid that if at all possible.

I actually don't necessarily need to access any shared folders/files on the Vista PC - I just need to print to an HP printer that is connected to the Vista PC. I've tried setting up a Windows Printer via Ubuntu but it doesn't see the printer or the Vista PC.

The Vista PC is a dual-boot setup with Ubuntu 8.10, and when it is booted into Ubuntu 8.10 my wife's laptop can wirelessly access shared folders and also print to the printer. Problem is, I have to run Windows sometimes for work-specific apps and so she needs to be able to print to the connected printer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Please help: Cannot connect (or even see) Vista PC on network from Ubuntu 8.10

I have the exact same problem / Does anyone have an answer for this??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Please help: Cannot connect (or even see) Vista PC on network from Ubuntu 8.10

Hi all... I count myself in the list of the lucky ones having this problem. Recently I bought a new Gateway laptop that came with Windows Vista Home Premium. I created a new partition and installed Ubuntu 9.04. Then started using Ubuntu and noticed that my wireless connection was unstable. So I decided to reboot into Vista to see if I had the same problem there. When I rebooted into Vista, the wireless connection wasn't working. It detected the wireless network, but cannot connect to it. Before installing/using Ubuntu, I wasn't having problems with the wireless connection on Vista.

Let me know what specific information is needed to diagnose this problem. I will post it here ASAP.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!