Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Shuts off during XP Install. Overheating!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Laptop Shuts off during XP Install. Overheating!!!

I have a major problem here. My laptop overheats during the XP install (like, within the first 15 minutes of it actually installing). Its not an OEM but a store-bought copy of the CD (years ago, but still).

I no longer have my rescue disks (haven't really needed them since I have been using Ubuntu on it). I wanted to Dualboot and to my surprise, I couldn't even get through the installation.

Cooling Pads do not help. Its an older laptop and it has been cleaned out and thermal paste has been re-applied (That somewhat helped, as normally it would have shut down after the first 5).

What can I do? I can get through the Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 installation without it even getting warm on my lap. Should I use some kind of virtual software under Ubuntu to install it? What are my options? (with pausing options, maybe?)

Its definitely out of warranty, but I cannot part with it just yet.

Extra Info:
    Its the strangest thing, during the XP install it gets so hot that it even smells like its about ready to burst in flames.. I'd rather not do that again. Its not comforting to smell burnt plastic half way through an XP Install. >_<

Specs:
    Gateway 7422gx
    1gb of ram
    80gb hardrive
    2.2ghz CPU (Single-core).
    Lands of Illithia - A Persistent Browser Based Game (PBBG) - Angels and Demons

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Laptop Shuts off during XP Install. Overheating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kestal View Post
    I have a major problem here. My laptop overheats during the XP install (like, within the first 15 minutes of it actually installing). Its not an OEM but a store-bought copy of the CD (years ago, but still)...

...Its the strangest thing, during the XP install it gets so hot that it even smells like its about ready to burst in flames.. I'd rather not do that again. Its not comforting to smell burnt plastic half way through an XP Install. >_<
    unless you cure the overheating you are only going to cause more damage. can you check the cpu temp in the bios, if so, and if the cpu is overheating (even after reseating and repasting), it may need replaced. if it is the hard drive that is overheating (formatting with xp at the start of an install will cause lengthy exercise of the drive), then replace it. you should be able to download a diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturers support site that will check the mechanics of the drive.

i've never came across it myself, but i believe a laptop battery can also be a cause of severe overheating, have you tried it with mains power only and the battery disconnected?
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro

It is the CPU. Not the Hardrive. I remember that it was a problem before when I had my recovery disc's and actually managed to get XP on (plus checking Speedfan). I switched to Ubuntu and that solved everything, but now I wish to Dualboot, but cannot install XP due to that. (even if its completely formatted, as its easier to install XP first then Ubuntu, to let Grub take over).

(When I ran my Speedfan a while back, I remember that full throttle/load the HDD was at about 45-50c (which is supposedly about normal for my laptop, unfortunetely), and CPU cuts into automatic thermal shutdown at about 70-75c.) -- this was a common problem I read, for my laptop. I won it. >_<

Again, Ubuntu installs fine. Is there a program in Ubuntu that could let me virtually install XP on a different partition, within Ubuntu? Even through Wine that work to a significant degree?

I tried the battery bit, but unfortunetely with mine, it throttles when it needs to and there are no options in my bios to change that. I manage to get it to 1.6ghz in Ubuntu and it works perfectly, with NO overheating using one of the CPU freq applets. I will just deal with the bootloader vs grub mess later, if anything create a 3rd partition and put Ubuntu back on it later. or something.
    Last edited by kestal; November 6th, 2008 at 03:54 AM.

Beans

Your overheat has nothing to do with Windows, it will do the same thing with Ubuntu. What I would recommend doing is if your warranty is finished, open the back and take and clean out any heat sinks you find, the problem is probably caused by heat sink being clogged with dust. (PLEASE KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING BEFORE OPENING THE BACK!)

Beans
    Distro

did you just ignore what I said? its perfectly fine in Ubuntu. No overheating. I can install Ubuntu just fine from a formatted drive. I cannot go through the XP install. Heat sink is clean. Like mentioned, Warranty is done. Its an old laptop.

So saying that my overheating problem has nothing to do with it is partly true, but if you would have read my post you would have noticed that I *still* cant complete the XP install, despite the fact that I can complete Ubuntu install without it heating up at all.

So with that said, are there any programs that I can use (through Wine, in Ubuntu), that you think I should try? (and preferably free)

I am trying to find a way to virtually install XP through Ubuntu. (either through an Ubuntu program or an XP program, through Wine)
    Last edited by kestal; November 6th, 2008 at 06:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hi, i would still check out the hard drive, even it is not the chief offender in the overheating, lengthy overheating of the cpu in the confined space of a laptop can have caused a lot of damage.

as to xp, you could install 'virtualbox' thru synaptic in ubuntu and try installing xp on it. some info here:
    http://www.virtualbox.org/

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

as to xp, you could install 'virtualbox' thru synaptic in ubuntu and try installing xp on it. some info here:
    not on 1G of ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by ronnielsen1 View Post
    not on 1G of ram
    Memory. Depending on what guest operating systems you want to run, you will need at least 512 MB of RAM (but probably more, and the more the better). Basically, you will need whatever your host operating system needs to run comfortably, plus the amount that the guest operating system needs. So, if you want to run Windows XP on Windows XP, you probably won't enjoy the experience much with less than 1 GB of RAM. If you want to try out Windows Vista in a guest, it will refuse to install if it is given less than 512 MB RAM, so you'll need that for the guest alone, plus the memory your operating system normally needs.
    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know I tried it in qemu with a total of 1.5 GB ram and xp was slowwww! 98 ran like a champ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Put the machine in the freezer while installing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast