Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: installation of E17 from CVS

Beans

HOWTO: installation of E17 from CVS

This is just a quick how-to on downloading, compiling, and installing the desktop shell Enlightenment 17 from the CVS repository. E17 is still in development, so do not expect a fully stable, bug-free environment. That said: I use E17 on a daily basis and rarely run into any hiccups.

READ: Before following this guide please remove any previously installed versions of E17 (aka from any repository) as they may cause errors in the process.

A quick disclaimer: this is my first how-to, so feel free to offer any constructive criticism.

Lets Start!

1.) First we want to install all required packages for E17, and all the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries to install. This list may be a bit of overkill, but it will get the job done.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libcurl3-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex xlibs-dev gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev libxine-dev libxkbfile-dev libsqlite3-dev giblib-dev libxmu-dev libxdamage-dev libxcomposite-dev libtag1-dev libtagc0-dev giblib-dev libasound2-dev

2.) Now that all that is out of the way we need to get the script that will make downloading/compiling/installing E17 very easy. All credit goes to Morlenxus for this great tool.

From your home directory, run the following command
    Code:
    wget http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/easy_e17/easy_e17.sh
    3.) Now we need to made the script executable and then run it! This script will prompt you for your sudo password, enter it. This script will take quite some time to run, so try to be patient NOTES: This script will install all the applications and libraries it installs into /opt/e17 so as not to interfere with other versions of enlightenment. You can change this location through scripts options. This script will install ALL the applications and libraries available in the E17 CVS tree. You may or may not want all these apps. You can easily skip any library or app using the --skip flag with the script.

Code:
    chmod +x easy_e17.sh
    ./easy_e17.sh -i
    4.) Now we have enlightenment all installed and working. The next step it create a desktop entry so that you can log-in to enlightenment from GDM.

Create a desktop entry called e17.desktop
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/xsessions/e17.desktop
    Copy/Paste the following into the newly created file
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=E-17
    Comment=
    Exec=/opt/e17/bin/enlightenment
    Icon=
    Type=Application
    Thats all you really need to do. Now using enligthenment is as simple as logging out, selecting the E-17 session and logging back in. Any time you want to update enlightenment and related libs/apps, simply re-run the easy_e17 script. For more information on the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries, and the applications that use them, please see http://www.get-e.org and
    http://www.enlightenment.org.au

Suggestion: due to the fact that enlightenment was installed in /opt/e17 it is a good idea to add /opt/e17/bin to your PATH so that it is easier to run all those great applications you just installed.

To do this open your /etc/environment with your favorite text editor

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/environment
    then add the following lines to the bottom

Code:
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/opt/e17/bin
    Last edited by TimmyJ; August 21st, 2006 at 03:54 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: HOWTO: installation of E17 from CVS

this is great how to.its been days trying to get e17 from CVS but I am always stuck with the compilation of emotion because of xine in ubuntu.

I tried using your how to but for noobs like me, i think it would be better to add some more details like:

--how do i run the script easy_e17.sh?
    --how do i add /opt/e17 in PATH?

thanks.
    Ubuntu 6.10, Dell Latitude C840
    Registered Linux User #405347

Beans

Well, it started working I got the following output (sorry for the length, but I don't know which is important) --

Code:
    - edb ........................ ok
    - eet ........................ ok
    - evas ....................... ok
    - ecore ...................... ERROR!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST LOGLINES FROM /tmp/easy_e17/install_logs/ecore.log:
    ranlib .libs/libecore_dbus.a
    creating libecore_dbus.la
    (cd .libs && rm -f libecore_dbus.la && ln -s ../libecore_dbus.la libecore_dbus.la)
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib/ecore_dbus'
    make[4]: Entering directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib'
    make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib'
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib'
    Making all in bin
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/bin'
    if gcc-3.4 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I/opt/e17/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/opt/e17/include  -I/opt/e17/include -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I/opt/e17/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/opt/e17/include -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall -MT ecore_test-ecore_test.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Tpo" -c -o ecore_test-ecore_test.o `test -f 'ecore_test.c' || echo './'`ecore_test.c; \
    then mv -f ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Tpo" ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc-3.4  -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall  -L/opt/e17/lib -o ecore_test  ecore_test-ecore_test.o ../../src/lib/ecore/libecore.la ../../src/lib/ecore_x/libecore_x.la ../../src/lib/ecore_txt/libecore_txt.la ../../src/lib/ecore_job/libecore_job.la ../../src/lib/ecore_fb/libecore_fb.la ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/libecore_evas.la ../../src/lib/ecore_con/libecore_con.la ../../src/lib/ecore_ipc/libecore_ipc.la -lm
    mkdir .libs
    gcc-3.4 -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/ecore_test ecore_test-ecore_test.o  -L/opt/e17/lib ../../src/lib/ecore/.libs/libecore.so ../../src/lib/ecore_x/.libs/libecore_x.so ../../src/lib/ecore_txt/.libs/libecore_txt.so ../../src/lib/ecore_job/.libs/libecore_job.so ../../src/lib/ecore_fb/.libs/libecore_fb.so ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/.libs/libecore_evas.so ../../src/lib/ecore_con/.libs/libecore_con.so ../../src/lib/ecore_ipc/.libs/libecore_ipc.so -lm
    ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/.libs/libecore_evas.so: undefined reference to `evas_data_attach_get'
    ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/.libs/libecore_evas.so: undefined reference to `evas_data_attach_set'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[3]: *** [ecore_test] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/bin'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Any thoughts?? I'd love to get this working!! I had e17 going under Hoary, but no luck yet in Breezy.

Thanks, Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Ubuntu 6.10, Dell Latitude C840
    Registered Linux User #405347

Beans

I tried using your how to but for noobs like me, i think it would be better to add some more details like:

--how do i run the script easy_e17.sh?
    --how do i add /opt/e17 in PATH?
    Thanks for the input! To run the script simply running the following command while in the directory you downloaded the file easy_e17.sh to:
    sudo ./easy_e17.sh -i --skip=emotion,eclair
    for more info you can also do this:
    ./easy_e17 --help
    I will update the guide with notes on changed your $PATH

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by firecat53
    Well, it started working I got the following output (sorry for the length, but I don't know which is important) --
    I updated my list of programs to install. Re-run this command and then re-run the script and see if that does it for you
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libcurl3-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex xlibs-dev gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev
    then

Code:
    sudo ./easy_e17.sh -i --skip=emotion,eclair
    hope that helps! Thanks for trying this out

Beans

mine fails on e installation with an ERROR!, this what the log shows....

LAST LOGLINES FROM /tmp/easy_e17/install_logs/e.log:

Code:
    configure.in: installing `./missing'
    src/bin/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
    src/modules/Makefile.am:2: required directory src/modules/gadget_test does not exist
    configure.in:316: required file `src/modules/gadget_test/Makefile.in' not found
    Makefile.am:1: `intl' should not be in SUBDIRS when AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) is used
    Running aclocal...
    Running autoheader...
    Running autoconf...
    Running libtoolize...
    Running automake...
    src/modules/Makefile.am:2: required directory src/modules/gadget_test does not exist
    Makefile.am:1: `intl' should not be in SUBDIRS when AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) is used
    Running aclocal...
    /usr/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTK
      run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
      or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
    /usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB
    Running autoheader...
    Running autoconf...
    Running libtoolize...
    Running automake...
    I am not sure what is supposed to create src/modules/gadget_test, so I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crobe
    mine fails on e installation with an ERROR!, this what the log shows....

LAST LOGLINES FROM /tmp/easy_e17/install_logs/e.log:

Code:
    configure.in: installing `./missing'
    src/bin/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
    Running aclocal...
    Running autoheader...
    Running autoconf...
    Running libtoolize...
    Running automake...
    Running aclocal...
    /usr/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTK
      run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
      or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
    /usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB
    Running autoheader...
    Running autoconf...
    Running libtoolize...
    Running automake...
    I am not sure what is supposed to create src/modules/gadget_test, so I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting...

This is a problem with thinktux's CVS repo, for some reason its not getting the e_gadget stuff. You can either wait it out and try again later. Or you can use anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net for the time being. Instructions on using this CVS repo can be found at www.get-e.org
    Last edited by TimmyJ; December 2nd, 2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Explain necessary script modifications

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by firecat53

Code:
    - edb ........................ ok
    - eet ........................ ok
    - evas ....................... ok
    - ecore ...................... ERROR!

LAST LOGLINES FROM /tmp/easy_e17/install_logs/ecore.log:
    ranlib .libs/libecore_dbus.a
    creating libecore_dbus.la
    (cd .libs && rm -f libecore_dbus.la && ln -s ../libecore_dbus.la libecore_dbus.la)
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib/ecore_dbus'
    make[4]: Entering directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib'
    make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib'
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/lib'
    Making all in bin
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/bin'
    if gcc-3.4 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I/opt/e17/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/opt/e17/include  -I/opt/e17/include -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I../../src/lib/ecore -I../../src/lib/ecore_evas -I../../src/lib/ecore_directfb -I../../src/lib/ecore_x -I../../src/lib/ecore_fb -I../../src/lib/ecore_job -I../../src/lib/ecore_con -I../../src/lib/ecore_ipc -I../../src/lib/ecore_txt -I../../src/lib/ecore_config -I/opt/e17/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/opt/e17/include -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall -MT ecore_test-ecore_test.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Tpo" -c -o ecore_test-ecore_test.o `test -f 'ecore_test.c' || echo './'`ecore_test.c; \
    then mv -f ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Tpo" ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/ecore_test-ecore_test.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc-3.4  -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall  -L/opt/e17/lib -o ecore_test  ecore_test-ecore_test.o ../../src/lib/ecore/libecore.la ../../src/lib/ecore_x/libecore_x.la ../../src/lib/ecore_txt/libecore_txt.la ../../src/lib/ecore_job/libecore_job.la ../../src/lib/ecore_fb/libecore_fb.la ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/libecore_evas.la ../../src/lib/ecore_con/libecore_con.la ../../src/lib/ecore_ipc/libecore_ipc.la -lm
    mkdir .libs
    gcc-3.4 -I/opt/e17/include -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/ecore_test ecore_test-ecore_test.o  -L/opt/e17/lib ../../src/lib/ecore/.libs/libecore.so ../../src/lib/ecore_x/.libs/libecore_x.so ../../src/lib/ecore_txt/.libs/libecore_txt.so ../../src/lib/ecore_job/.libs/libecore_job.so ../../src/lib/ecore_fb/.libs/libecore_fb.so ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/.libs/libecore_evas.so ../../src/lib/ecore_con/.libs/libecore_con.so ../../src/lib/ecore_ipc/.libs/libecore_ipc.so -lm
    ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/.libs/libecore_evas.so: undefined reference to `evas_data_attach_get'
    ../../src/lib/ecore_evas/.libs/libecore_evas.so: undefined reference to `evas_data_attach_set'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[3]: *** [ecore_test] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src/bin'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/owner/e17_cvs/e17/libs/ecore'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Any thoughts?? I'd love to get this working!! I had e17 going under Hoary, but no luck yet in Breezy.

Thanks, Scott
    I've got the same problem

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123
    I've got the same problem
    OK, I think I've nailed down what causes this. It is a problem with automake versions. To fix this you should:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove automake1.4 automake1.6 automake1.8 automake1.9
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install automake1.7
    then finally, run the script again
    Code:
    sudo ./easy_e17 -i --skip=eclair,emotion
    Hopefully that'll work. Post ur results
    Last edited by TimmyJ; December 2nd, 2005 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast