Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Home Premium Rebate ( Acer )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Windows Vista Home Premium Rebate ( Acer )

Just purchased a laptop that comes shipped with Vista Home Premium which I don't want so I am trying to get a refund. I will document the story as it unfolds here:

Quote Originally Posted by Myself
    Also, what process do I have to undertake to acquire a rebate for the Windows Vista license as I intend to replace it with a Linux installation?
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyAcer
    Unfortunately neither Microsoft, nor the manufacturer provide any rebates for removing Windows Vista. They are preinstalled on the machines and all machines have the license assigned to them so it isn't possible.
    In regards to the license, I quote from the Windows Vista Home Premium EULA ( http://download.microsoft.com/docume...621bddb153.pdf )

"By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit."

Please advise.
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyacer
    I would advise speaking directly with Microsoft or Acer regarding this issue. We unfortunately don't handle any rebates for non-use of Vista.
    Update: 2008-11-06

I got in contact with Acer:

Please send me a copy of the Refund Contract as I have rejected the EULA for Windows Vista Home Premium and would like to be refunded for the license.

Please include a list of any information you require from myself in order to process this license rebate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

This would be classed as a chargeable repair, the process would be the following.

There will be a £53.13 charge taken from you before your machine is brought in for repair. You will then be given courier details so that you may arrange collection of your machine for shipment to our repair centre. Once received in the repair centre it will undergo assessment by one of our technicians. They will draw up a written proposal for you containing full details pertaining to your repair. This will be sent to you by post giving you ten days to respond.

Once you have received the proposal you have the option to reject it, which means the £53.13 will cover the engineer and couriers fees, and the machine will be returned to you un-repaired.

After ten days, if your proposal is not signed and returned to us by fax or post the repair is defaulted as rejected, your machine is not repaired, and shipped back to you.

We can not give estimates of repair costs, under any circumstances, without the machine being diagnosed by an Acer technician

If you would like to book your machine in for an assessment please let us know and we will make the necessary arrangements, and provide a case id to add the the form. Once the form has been returned I'll send out the DHL details.Regards
    Matt

Acer Technical Support Team
    Will the £53, plus the cost of the Windows license, be credited to me once the laptop has been "repaired"?

Update: 2008-11-10

Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    The £53.13 is the charge to have it brought down, this is non refundable. The refund amount for windows ranges depending on the version of windows that came with your system.
    I have already removed Vista from this machine and installed the operating system of my choice, there would be nothing for your engineer to do than to verify it is no longer present.

I also filmed me not accepting the Vista license, if you require such proof.

Could I bring the laptop to one of your divisions to have it verified that Vista has been removed and avoid the charge?

The version of Windows is Microsoft Vista Home Premium.
    Last edited by Xyem; November 10th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Rebate ( Acer )

Cool!

Hope you get your money back!
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yeah. I got a refund from Gateway. You can read about it here.
    Peace be with you,

Br. Jack+, LC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've contacted Acer themselves about this, asking for a Refund Contract as "advised" by this page.
    Buying online means I couldn't remove the Windows installation in the vendors presence but at least they might be able to direct me to a more appropriate avenue if I'm going down the wrong one. ( I'll post my e-mail and their reply when/if it comes in. If it doesn't come, I'll be ringing them ).

Thanks for the link, odysseusjak. It's promising having others who have done something similar with positive results.

If Acer play up, I might contact Microsoft and get them to sort it out between the Acer and the vendor.. they do own the license after all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The deals these companies have with Microsoft is sickening. I can understand most people don't care what their PC is running, but locking in consumers is a(n) unacceptable/dirty business practise. Ship your PCs with Vista and we'll give you a discount on licences. Meanwhile, the poor fellow running the small computer store is getting pummelled by larger companies because he can't purchase enough licences to get the same discounts. Thus not able to sell custom made PCs at the same price big box stores can.

I'm glad people take the time do stuff like this and exercise the rights they are entitled to as a consumer. Companies make this difficult on purpose to discourage people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great idea! You could start a trend! Maybe if I get Ubuntu up and running completely with my Toshiba laptop, I should contact them for a refund
    "We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works."—Douglas Adams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by malleus74 View Post
    Great idea! You could start a trend! Maybe if I get Ubuntu up and running completely with my Toshiba laptop, I should contact them for a refund
    Probably wouldn't work since you agreed to the licence if you are currently using it. You need to disagree to it at the time of purchase or at the first boot. Nevertheless, give it a try.

Beans

the many re-founds the better...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Xyem View Post
    Just purchased a laptop that comes shipped with Vista Home Premium which I don't want so I am trying to get a refund. I will document the story as it unfolds here:
    best of luck, and let us know the developments, though i think i would've opted for a linux laptop myself to save the hassle.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Xyem View Post
    Just purchased a laptop that comes shipped with Vista Home Premium which I don't want so I am trying to get a refund.
    I didn't know this was possible. Wish I would have thought of this when I bought my Acer laptop last year. It cam with Vista basic, which I promply removed. I did use Vista though (for about an hour) so I guess I "agreed" to the license and forfeited any chance for a rebate.
    Xyem,
    Let us know how this plays out. Hope you get your refund!
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast