Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Vista Home Premium Rebate ( Acer )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Rebate ( Acer )

I would have brought a Linux/Naked laptop if I could find one with similiar specification to the one I got.

I received the laptop today and preliminary testing ( in my lunch break which consisted of playing Nexuiz ) showed that everything works under Ibex. I couldn't test the built-in wireless as there are no wireless spots here but NetworkManager showed 'Wireless connections'.

In other news, I got in contact with Acer ( updated first post ). My initial reaction was "WTF?!" as it sounds like they want to charge me £50 to remove the operating system. Not only that, I would be without the laptop for a few days. At the least I would like to think they would remove the million and one labels -.- I'd prefer to just take it to them, show Vista has gone bye-bye and get my rebate in cash

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll keep you posted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think what Acer sent you about the repair was just a canned response to the wrong question, not something you'll need to go through.

This is quite outrageous actually, because I heard that Acer was going to push Linux on their laptops.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I little over a year ago I bought a new Acer laptop that came with Vista installed and Acer installed their 'special software' too. My laptop was horrendously sluggish to the point of it not being usable. That's bad for a new computer, and my Windows 98 laptop worked better than my 'new' Acer. I approached Acer several different ways about correcting the problem: 1) I requested XP to be installed 2) or send me more RAM 3) refund 4) or swap out to a more functional model. Acer refused on all my request. I even commented that I was thinking about installing Linux or XP and at THAT moment the Acer Vice-President I was talking with voided any and all warranty I had on the laptop, then ended the telephone conversation.

I also contacted the Better Business Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Office of Consumer Affairs. All those organizations told me "tough luck" -- take care of it yourself.

Ultimately I installed 8.04 on my Acer laptop and once I got is setup, it runs like a charm.

I wish you success with Acer, but be prepared for the Acer Corporation to give you problems.

*On a side note, do not send your laptop in to Acer for repair because during my battles with Acer I found out they do more harm to the laptop. Acer has a habit of sending back a repaired computer with loose parts, missing parts, scratches, downgraded RAM, and used parts installed instead of new parts. Not to mention -- screwdriver marks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Cee View Post
    I little over a year ago I bought a new Acer laptop that came with Vista installed and Acer installed their 'special software' too. My laptop was horrendously sluggish to the point of it not being usable.
    I experienced the same thing with my Acer laptop. The laptop only came with 512mb RAM (I added another 512mb myself to make 1GB) and with Vista + all of Acer's bloatware it was painfully slow. During the 1 hour I played with Vista, about 45 minutes of it was spent waiting for programs to start. Windows XP would have been a much better choice for this laptop.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans
    Distro

Updated with Acer's response, which is looking positive so far. There doesn't seem to be any resistance to my request..
    I asked about the possibility of taking my laptop in to show them Vista is no longer on it as I don't want to lose the laptop for a few days ( will update will my e-mail to them when I get to it ).

In regards to the laptop itself, with the exception of the SD card reader, everything I have tested works fine in 8.10. Sound, graphics, intergrated camera, wireless, and media key things all work without any hassle. I haven't tested the bluetooth yet ( I don't use it anyway ) and hopefully the SD card reader just needs a shove to get it working ( though I wouldn't use that much either! )

I booted up Vista to record me declining the license, except I couldn't ( there was only a 'Next' button ) and I couldn't click 'Next' until I have selected both the Acer and Vista agreements. So I haven't even agreed to Acer's agreement so I don't know where I stand with that.

Beans
    Distro

If you are spending $400 or under for a new full featured laptop with at least 80 Gig hard drive CD and DVD drives, wireless and 1 GB Ram.

If you can get that rebate..great.

If not,the computer still has a lot more features for about the same money than netbooks will ever have...regardless or not if you got the rebate...you still got a good deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12