Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install (G)FCEUX 2.0 NES emulator

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install (G)FCEUX 2.0 NES emulator

Hey all, fceuX-sdl dev here. I see you guys have brought up a lot of new issues so I'm going to try to address all of them.

* Fullscreen cursor not being hidden - FIXED in r1651

* Audio issues - First, try running fceuX through esddsp. If you're using pulseaudio and not alsa, this should eliminate all poor audio performance. Secondly, as mentioned earlier, update to SDL 1.2.14. There are some audio-related bug fixes in that update that are relevant to fceuX. I'm not sure if there's a package yet, but it will be default in Ubuntu+1 and it's simple to install via source. TBH, i'm not sure why SDL 1.2.14 isn't in the update repository yet. THANKS SHAGGIN SHEA FOR THE ESDDSP TIP! I was hacking the SDL sound code for weeks, and it wans't even an issue in my code.

* Input configuration issues - Let me start off by saying that the "--inputcfg" system used in fceuX is extremely outdated and has a lot of problems right now. I'm working on it. For now, use a third party utility to map joystick buttons to KEYS. I know there are apps that do this but I can't think of the names off hand, search the apt repos.

* Scons bombing out - You're using a pretty damn old version of scons. Either update to the latest scons, or replace each instance of variables with options like Shaggin Shea mentioned earlier.

* GFceux issues - Gfceux is getting depreciated. FceuX is getting a GTK GUI that will remove the need for a launcher. If you'd like to try it out, enable the GTK option in the SConstruct (line 15). Just change the 0 to 1 and you're good to go.

This thread seems to be the most active discussion of the SDL version of fceuX. I encourage you all to participate in the fceuX community (http://fceux.com). I reply to the mailing list ASAP, and check the tracker fairly often. We're also fairly active on IRC (#fceu @ irc.freenode.net) so come check us out there.

Furthermore, you can contact me directly at < LTsmooth42 _at_ gmail _dot_ com > . I'm not bothered by questions / feedback / issues related to fceuX because I want to see fceuX be as good as it can be.

So, now that that's settled, you guys can kick back and play some f*****g nintendo while I code away

Enjoy!

-Lukas

Beans

Hey all;
    I've been doing a lot of work on the GTK GUI. I just added a lot of menu options. The GTK UI desperately needs some testing outside of my box.

If you'd like to test it, enable GTK in the SConstruct and rebuild fceuX

Make sure you get the latest svn if you want to test (i've been making a lot of changes, so make sure you svn up often)

Please, stress test this in every single way. I'd like to get all the bugs cleared out of this so I can start adding all the features I'd like to add to the GUI.

I'm also idling on IRC if anyone wants to chat and help test this.

Thanks!

Beans

I would use this but then why? I downloaded Mednafen then found this front end http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=813785 programmed that still works. It supports more than just NES too!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by litemirrors View Post
    I would use this but then why? I downloaded Mednafen then found this front end http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=813785 programmed that still works. It supports more than just NES too!
    not forcing you to use anything; madnafen is a cool emu as well

fceuX just has a lot more features than what madnafen's nes emulator has. i don't really feel like getting into details right now, but fceu is a lot more flexible for TAS, rom hacking, and other power-user features

the GUI for mednafen is a lot more fleshed out than the GUI for fceuX currently. i'm the only person working on the GUI currently, and I also have a real job and a lot of other things to do. However, I plan on devoting a lot of time in the near future for getting the GTK GUI up to speed with the win32 version and depreciating gfceux

use whatever you want. i obviously have a biased opinion since I spend so much time coding fceuX, but I feel that I can say objectively that fceuX is much more powerful than mednafen, but it's obvious that mednafen has a much better GUI

Working to improve the GUI as we speak; I just committed a dialog to replace --inputcfg. it's not finished, but it will save a lot of headaches once it is.

Beans

I recommend this software for people who would like to use gamepads for hotkeys, or if they are having trouble getting their joysticks working with fceuX

http://code.google.com/p/jkeys/

Beans

I've been doing a lot of work on the GTK GUI. It's almost completely fleshed out.

Testing would be key here! I have built an amd64 package for anyone that would like to give it a shot.

I've been working hard on the GTK GUI. Almost everything in fceux.cfg is configurable via the GUI. Here's a list of some stuff I added:
    * inputcfg - no hotkeys yet, but there's a GUI for gamepad config
    * video dialog
    * sound dialog - all options and mixers for each sound channel
    * palette dialog - also includes color/tint/hue

movie loading, lua script loading, rom loading, and some other command are also available via menus

there's more to come and it will be polished more in the near future, but any feedback would be great!

here's a deb package for 64bit. it was built on ubuntu 9.10 with SDL 1.2.14. as with all linux binaries, YMMV, but if all else fails just compile the source in subversion.

http://megaupload.com/=dFCMDASUI
    Last edited by punkrockguy318; February 25th, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: new link

Beans

bump for update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rifter View Post
    I actually installed this because the ubuntu-included fceu and gfceu had choppy sound, which I determined was caused somehow by pulseaudio (on 9.10) even when I used the commands that force things to pulseaudio. Having gotten some success in wine by directing things to esd, I tried to get esddsp to work but that gave no joy.

I found that if I launched gfceux as

esddsp gfceux

the sound was perfect.

What's funny about this is that on 9.10 the esd apparently has a wrapper to pulseaudio. nevertheless this works, so you should try it.
    this is interesting, and possibly very important. 9.10 has serious problems with SDL audio I haven't seen using esddsp proposed yet, although a lot of similar half-workarounds have been tried, and no solution has been found so far...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm on a Debian Lenny system. And I'm not getting sound. I used the first post's instructions in this thread. Maybe things have changed?

Either way, I'd really like sound.
    Yes, sound on my box works (not with the FCEU, though).
    I believe I'm using an ALSA setup at the moment.

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockguy318 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of work on the GTK GUI. It's almost completely fleshed out.

Testing would be key here! I have built an amd64 package for anyone that would like to give it a shot.

I've been working hard on the GTK GUI. Almost everything in fceux.cfg is configurable via the GUI. Here's a list of some stuff I added:
    * inputcfg - no hotkeys yet, but there's a GUI for gamepad config
    * video dialog
    * sound dialog - all options and mixers for each sound channel
    * palette dialog - also includes color/tint/hue

movie loading, lua script loading, rom loading, and some other command are also available via menus

there's more to come and it will be polished more in the near future, but any feedback would be great!

here's a deb package for 64bit. it was built on ubuntu 9.10 with SDL 1.2.14. as with all linux binaries, YMMV, but if all else fails just compile the source in subversion.

http://megaupload.com/=dFCMDASUI
    The link appears to be broken; would you be so kind as to re upload the 64bit package?
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast